Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. MButerbaugh

MButerbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2012
    I'm thinking about getting some sand today to put in my soggy chicken run... I'm so tired of the rain and mess, which unfortunately can not be avoided due to the layout of the coop and location in the yard... I guess I didn't think that one through when planning my coop [​IMG] I was just wondering how the sand is working out for those of you that have tried it?

also, another question... it seems like you've all had either several chickens that you've hatched or traded, how do you manage to integrate everyone, or do you have several coops? I tried to mix 2 young flocks this summer with no luck, hence the 2nd coop mentioned above... I would like to get maybe a few more chickens but I think my husband might disown me if I ask for yet another coop...[​IMG] There really is chicken math involved in all of this, isn't there?!?[​IMG]

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    With the majority of my flock...they were all hatched from February through April last year I would often have different sizes in the brooder...as they got to a certain size (or I needed more room in the brooder) they'd go outside to the coop...fact was, they'd mostly been together at one point or another in their lives.

In July beaglady kindly incubated for me and sent me home 2 tiny sebrights, a lovely salmon favorelle and 5 ducklings. The ducklings were first to go outside...they were just too big for the brooder. When it came time to put the sebright and favorelle outside...they went into a small coop (think it's meant for like 4 fullsize) that is inside the big coop. It has a wire mesh front and bottom. They lived in there for a week with me only opening the door to add water or food. The second week I opened the door during the day and let them come out if they wanted too (they didn't) Week 3 I scooped them out each day. Part way through that time, I found them outside. The favorelle unfortunately is alone now (sebrights aren't very healthy/hardy) she will often play by herself....but she's also not afraid to dive into the middle of a pile to get to food. She lives in the main coop now.

I now have my Wellie babies (8weeks) in the same coop that the Favorelle used to live in. They will be integrated the same way.

4. Baym

Baym Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Really nice pictures. If Phyllis Diller was in pictures as a chicken, I think you found what she would look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Baym

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    My wife said the same thing the first time our son kicked her from inside her belly. And now .....

6. Baym

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    And please post video of you doing said chirping. For science of course. [​IMG]

7. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    She said "We have chirping"? Odd.

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hi Missy!

Baym your fun[​IMG]

10. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Auction day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Time to trim some more fat!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by