Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

It's the scrapple! Ewww
roll.png

there is so much hatching going on in PA over the winter! For those of you that are doing big hatches recently or int he next few weeks, will you keep them all indoors all winter, or do you have heated coops? I have like 60ish eggs set and I am trying to figure out logistics! I have a fairly large brooder, but not one that will hold all of those babies until they are 3-4 months old!
I make it easy to clean, not a big deal in garage

Hello all... I have been lurking for a while while I try to learn as much as I possibly can about this crazy obsession my Significant Other and I have gotten ourselves into! I have wanted chickens for years, his family had laying hens growing up. This past spring we were lucky enough to get a small group from a school project that didn't have a home. I had spent the last year buying any books I could use to learn from and the same with magazines with articles on chicken care and upkeep. Although I was pretty well prepared to handle the basics of their care I don't think either of us had really expected just how darn much enjoyment we would be getting out of our group! Chicken math has since set in and we got another few from a lady who was selling some adult birds of also unknown lineage so we are now at 15, with 4 being roos. We now also have a little Silkie (mix I think) who is determined to be broody and we are going to need to get the poor little girl some eggs since she won't give up!

We have been incredibly lucky with a group of birds who have been very healthy so far, and now have a nicely balanced group with a few very friendly hens and some nice roos, one of whom is pictured on my profile page and as of now (he is 9 months) is very friendly and easily held and allows us to do anything without fuss. I am very thankful that our start into the chicken keeping world has been so positive.

I have enjoyed so many of the threads I've read on here, and have found many hours and hours worth of incredible reading/learning to be had about all things (good and bad) in the world of chicken keeping.

I am looking forward to having many more good learning experiences here as we continue our journey into this (hopefully) more self sufficient time for us. I am also looking forward to having a lot of fun along the way!

Edit to add.... I also posted this on the new members welcome area, but thought I'd repost here.
Hello from Berks!! so glad you joined us!!! Silk? Broody? YAY Good for you!! Cool that you found us!! It took me a while until I asked and someone pointed me in this direction!!

And BTW.... I have been following this thread for a while, and love to see the friendships that have developed here.

The chicks above are adorable! and I am in the situation you all talked about just a couple pages back. My SO is as hooked on chickens as I am and we are our own worst enemies
because neither of us know when to say no! LOL
I wouldn't trade him for the world!
Welcome aboard the chicken crazy train!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom