Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

How many people are heating their coops this week? I am a believer in no added heat, but It is so cold! Especially since I did open the door today, so the windchill was a factor.
My next question is how many opened the door today, and did the girls go (and STAY) out to forage?

I don't have any heat in the 2 main coops, and today let everyone out like I normally would. They all stayed out all day, but could've come in at any time. I had one Wyandotte that was looking pretty bad all day, and she never came in to roost. Poor gal, I think in this weather it's survival of the fittest, and she wasn't. Tomorrow I'm going to leave them all locked up, and see how that goes. All I can say is " Come on Saturday"!! Can't wait for this crap to be over.
duc.gif

Heat in the coop...guilty...
I feel so bad for them, I know I wouldn't want to be out there in these temps...

But, hey...the electric company called and thanked me for the economic stimulus that heating the coop is providing to them!!
Welcome radioman! North Berks here..... I wouldnt want to be out either, and didnt want to be, even for an hour and half!!! I must be molting as I cant seem to find my down, I tried to fluff up but it only made me colder! lol

Which company I need to buy stock then!!
lau.gif

I opened the run, they were in and out of it part of the day, mostly in the coop. I have it partially covered. I changed out the 40 watt to a 60 bulb for the light, could feel a little heat off of it, so I turned it on during the day. We vase lined their combs yesterday evening, but not today. Hoping for the best.

Thanks for the welcome!
Been lurking for a while, mostly over fisherlady's shoulder...I'm her S.O. and finally decided to chime in!

Just checked and we're at a whopping 0 degrees...coop temp is at a balmy 22!
Hooked up one of those ceramic "reptile" bulbs for Gracie this evening...managed to get her brooding cubicle up to about 27 degrees.
She said that if that stoopid Groundhog doesn't give the right answer on the 2nd that she is going to hunt him down...
lau.gif

How many people are heating their coops this week? I am a believer in no added heat, but It is so cold! Especially since I did open the door today, so the windchill was a factor.
My next question is how many opened the door today, and did the girls go (and STAY) out to forage?

MC, I opened the door, they said heck no I am not going to go out there. I left it open while I did the barn work, the Cochins bantam and LF went out for a little bit................. As soon as I put there "snacks" down, they came running. I do not add heat ever. As long as they are dry, and out of the wind, they will be fine. Its much more healthy for them, especially if the electricity would go out. Then you don't have to worry about them getting sick.

I put Vet Rx on the large combed chickens, right now I only have 2, to prevent frostbite. I have 2 8 gallon metal waterers sitting on metal heater bases. That is good for 3 days. As back up, for an electrical outage, I have a hodgepodge of waterers that I have kept over the years.

Mine have to tough it out with no heat. Most of the live in tarped chain link kennel runs with deep litter. They have lots of food, sunflower seeds, suet and lots of new straw on the floor. I put an extra tarp across the front that usually stays open. Their pens are cold, but the tarps block the wind nicely. It was cold, but not bitter. Of course, tomorrow morning, I'll have to redo their water again. All of todays eggs were frozen by the time I got home from work to gather them.

Even the scovies came up form the pond and were in one of the pens tonight.

No heat here. Temps made it to a whopping 6°f. Wind howling. Opened pop door one chook came out looked around and went right back in.
I use the black rubber bowls for water. Stomp them out when frozen and refill.

Excellent!! My Bella grabs up these hunks of ice and plays 'puppy hockey' with them on the de k. They slide amazingly well.

Just switched out the waterers for the 3rd time today! Loaded up the runs with straw and the birds are out getting sun snuggled in straw.

Got my Khaki Campbell duck eggs today! They got to the post office on Sat, but we were in Jersey all day, so they sat there over the holiday weekend. One was broken, so ii'm guessing there are some detached air cells. Boo. The GOOD news is....Sara lent me her incubator which is warming up right now! Yay!!
I was surprised that this one "slid" on the stones. Usually they break into pieces immediately... I guess Baym was right... KARMA!

Woohoo! More ducks!!!

Back
Top Bottom