Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Quote: Mine seem good so far, knock wood, they are acting ok and the spots are getting lighter now. one part looks like its red again! I didnt do anything to them for treatment, but have a close eye on them. Luckily I have more roos hatched and we will keep two to grow out. But not a sport :( I love that guy he is amazing, well he WAS! ugh

wee.gif
I fired up my new (to me) cabinet incubator last night and it seems to be working nicely. Now I just need to get some eggs collected to test it with. Anyone near Pottstown or Norristown that wants some eggs hatched?

Now that I have it working I have a strong urge to fill it up. Does that go away after a while?

(who am I kidding, I know the answer to that!!)

Oh, and I found out the previous owner upgraded it with a digital controller and bucket to keep the water supplied. It's nicer than expected.
do tell on the digital controller!!

Found it Sally and you one boy looks to have it pretty bad but it sure was an impressive comb!!!. I think my one boy will lose his points for sure also. Right now I am making sure infection doesn't set in on my bad. His wattles also got frostbitten. So far so good!

What are you doing to "prevent" infection? I'm using Neosporin but is there anything else I can do??

When does the map get updated? I did comment on my location, well, the zip code, anyway. I'm actually about 5-6 miles from the post office, in a different town, but close enough.
Do I actually have to have chickens first? I'm working on it!

What are you doing to "prevent" infection? I'm using Neosporin but is there anything else I can do??

I am just using the triple antibiotic ointment also. I want to see if that will work before trying anything more. So far everything is looking OK on him. How is yours doing. If he does get an infection despite using this, I am going to give keflex which is good for skin infections.

Mine seem good so far, knock wood, they are acting ok and the spots are getting lighter now. one part looks like its red again! I didnt do anything to them for treatment, but have a close eye on them. Luckily I have more roos hatched and we will keep two to grow out. But not a sport :( I love that guy he is amazing, well he WAS! ugh

Glad they are doing OK. He is a handsome boy and the comb is just cosmetic, right so he could still make some nice babies! ;)

I am just using the triple antibiotic ointment also. I want to see if that will work before trying anything more. So far everything is looking OK on him. How is yours doing. If he does get an infection despite using this, I am going to give keflex which is good for skin infections.

My boys are eating well and seem active enough. My bcm was bitten the worst. The points on his comb look swollen, and have a creamy color at their base, but the very tops of the points are mostly red. I hope he'll be OK. Where do you get Keflex, and how to you administer it?

My boys are eating well and seem active enough. My bcm was bitten the worst. The points on his comb look swollen, and have a creamy color at their base, but the very tops of the points are mostly red. I hope he'll be OK. Where do you get Keflex, and how to you administer it?

I would just keep an eye on it for now and see how he does with the neosporin. I always have keflex around the house. Keflex is for humans but works well for animals too. I am fortunate my Dr. writes for refills for me so I can just fill them as I need them. ;) But to purchase them for animals, you can go to firststatevetsupply.com and get some there. A vet could write a script too. But at FirstState, the man that runs the store, Peter Brown (The chicken doctor) is wonderful for any questions on care for sick chickens. If you belong to facebook I would recommend to friend him. He has messaged me and I spoke to him on the phone as well regarding a silkie girl that got attacked by a hawk and survived. He is a wealth of knowledge and always willing to help. But for the Keflex dosage, a silkie can have 250 mg twice a day and you can even go up to 500 mg if needed especially for a larger chicken. It is a capsule and I had opened it up to mix with food like yogurt or moistened chicken feed. It smells terrible when you open up the capsule so mix it with something they really like. LOL

Back
Top Bottom