Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

hmmm, should I clean the floors, put away the laundry or build an incubator....

duh, build the incubator!!!

I am a queen of scavange and MacGyvering things.... I could do it!!! I just need instructions...and I'll bet I can find them here. OMG.

I have to find out more about quail. I just started looking them up this afternoon. and now I see the baby oh dear lord...

heres a good wire diagram I used for my bator.

Simple incubator ( better than the ones at tractor supply.)

Igloo cooler - free somewhere

Two light sockets and wire - really ugly old lamps from a yard sale, strip off the parts needed- free - $5

Thermostat - several options, wafer thermostat - $25 or water heater thermostat from HD that goes down to 90° (not great, but I've managed to make one work) -$15. I'll take a picture of how I modified it if anyone wishes. Expensive option is a fancy digital one around $50-$100.

Accurite (sp?) thermometer/ humidity - digital-$10.

Piece of plexiglass for window - scavenge - free - optional, but you want it.

A few screws, silicone, jigsaw, screwdriver, drill and assorted bits. Probably wire nuts and electrical tape.

Yeah, I'm " neighborly "
This seems manageable....and a very awesome project!!!!

If you use a water heater thermostat ( not the best solution, but I've had success) it can be modified by drilling small holes as indicated by the arrows. I also mount it on a small piece of metal. They are designed as a contact thermostat. The metal provides some contact on the sensor and the holes allow airflow to the sensor. I saw this somewhere else. Use caution drilling the holes, just go through the outer plastic case.

Sorry about the editing job, I did it on my phone.

I use the direct wire method without the relay.

Just found one of my layers dead in the coop
sad.png
. Not sure what happened, doesn't look like there was a struggle in there, but I haven't climbed in to get her yet to see if there is an injury. Anything else I should look for to determine why she died if there isn't any obvious trauma? I need to bury her quickly so it isn't too difficult for my 3yo.

Now I'm down to just 3 layers, and only 2 chickens left from the BAs we hatched.

Just found one of my layers dead in the coop
sad.png
. Not sure what happened, doesn't look like there was a struggle in there, but I haven't climbed in to get her yet to see if there is an injury. Anything else I should look for to determine why she died if there isn't any obvious trauma? I need to bury her quickly so it isn't too difficult for my 3yo.

Now I'm down to just 3 layers, and only 2 chickens left from the BAs we hatched.
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear you lost one....

check her for a too full crop (impacted) or one which is too too empty (off of her food for some reason)... then check to see if she has an egg stuck in her abdominal area (egg bound) or if her abdomen is very swollen and fluid filled (egg peritonitis or internal laying)
birds hide illness very well, so it may be very hard to figure what occurred.

I'm northern Allegheny county, natrona heights. Right on county borders of Armstrong, Westmoreland, and butler. I'm obviously a duck owner. Looking for a rent to own home or something of that sorts. I need a bigger area for the pets and kids!!!! But trying to find people close by in case anything would ever happen and I would have to give my ducks away. Hopefully it never happens!

hugs.gif

So sorry to hear you lost one....

check her for a too full crop (impacted) or one which is too too empty (off of her food for some reason)... then check to see if she has an egg stuck in her abdominal area (egg bound) or if her abdomen is very swollen and fluid filled (egg peritonitis or internal laying)
birds hide illness very well, so it may be very hard to figure what occurred.

Took her out of the coop before I saw your reply. The only thing I noticed that didn't seem normal was a little yellow 'poop' stuck on the feathers around her vent and her vent was a little wet with yellow fluid. Her comb looks a little dark and withered, but that may have happened post-mortem. I did see some white around the base of her feathers on her bottom (is that lice? I bought DE to put in the bedding in the coop but never got around to doing it). Guess it's time to change the coop bedding and add some DE, but does the yellow poop mean anything? I don't want my other birds to catch what she had. The coop is actually really dirty right now and they've been confined to their (muddy) run lately, so I'm sure that hasn't helped. All the other hens/rooster look fine, bright red, plump combs, laying well, etc.

We are going away for the weekend for my daughter's birthday so I don't have a lot of time to put into the chickens this week, but I also don't want to come home to a bunch of sick/dying chickens! What should I do for my other birds other than cleaning the coop and adding DE?

*I did not bury her yet if there is anything else I should check considering the yellow poop*

Back
Top Bottom