Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

The January meeting of the Pennsylvania Avicultural Society will be held Sunday January 10th at 1:00 PM in the Susquehanna Room at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg.

BOD and Membership Meeting followed by a talk by Ron Johnson

Title: American Zoo Consortium - Collecting and Conservation in Papua
New Guinea
The presentation Collecting and Conservation in Papua New Guinea will explore Ron Johnson's three expeditions as Curator of Birds at Miami Metrozoo to the second largest island in the world. New Guinea is home to over 700 species of birds including 33 birds of paradise and 365 species endemic to the New Guinea region. Ron will take you on a journey to a land over 10,000 miles away to learn about the relationship between indigenous people, wildlife and their land and the importance of preserving the world's third largest rainforest. The presentation will show birds of paradise, bower birds, lories and lorikeets, fruit doves, honey eaters, kingfishers and many more birds plus pictures of the countryside, indigenous tribal people and how the birds were collected. Come to the Pennsylvania Avicultural Society Meeting on January 10th, 2016 for a trip back to the stone age where over 700 tribes have evolved with nature for the past 40,000 years.

Anyone interested in the PAAVSOC or this talk are invited to attend.

We are an independent, non-profit organization founded in 1996 for the purpose of mutual support of those interested in the keeping and breeding of all types of birds - other than domesticated varieties.
Our club meets several times throughout the year to engage in club activities. There are optional quarterly meetings for the purpose of voting on club business, as well as two great tailgate events in the Spring and Fall to buy and sell birds and other avicultural items of interest.
Statement of Purpose
  1. To strive for the protection, conservation and propagation of all pheasants, waterfowl, doves, ratites, pigeons, cage birds, etc.
  2. To distribute information that would be helpful and of interest to breeders of all birds whether ornamental, game or endangered.
  3. To sponsor an annual "tailgate" each year for the members and public.
  4. To provide a forum for all members to share their knowledge with each other.
  5. To distribute to members information on legislative matters that affects all aviculturists.

I snapped this picture yesterday, looks like Lacey ended up with 6 chicks to ring in the new year but she isn't letting them out much for photo ops.
I can just imagine the conversation going on here...
"Now daughter, this is what we call our grumpy broody stare, we use it when the silly human bothers us with the flashy box thing"
"Like this, Mom?"
"Yes, just like that! You will be a great grumpy broody if you keep practicing that stare just like I showed you."

Last edited:
I snapped this picture yesterday, looks like Lacey ended up with 6 chicks to ring in the new year but she isn't letting them out much for photo ops.
"Now daughter, this is what we call our grumpy broody stare, we use it when the silly human bothers us with the flashy box thing"
"Like this, Mom?"
"Yes, just like that! You will be a great grumpy broody if you keep practicing that stare just like I showed you."

Too cute
1f602.png

"Like this, Mom?"
oh my gosh, I'm dying.
1f602.png

"Like this, Mom?"

It looks like that the little one is working on it.
lau.gif
They are so cute!

Thank you
smile.png

oh my gosh, I'm dying.
1f602.png
Thanks, I do enjoy taking pictures of our broodies, and they are very tolerant of my habit, despite Lacey's glare in this pic!
gig.gif

Her next lesson for the Littles will be 'HOW TO EFFECTIVELY BEG FROM GULLIBLE HUMANS'.... She is a very fun hen and we do get to enjoy her antics a lot when she has chicks, which seems to be most of the time anymore!

Thank you
smile.png

Thanks, I do enjoy taking pictures of our broodies, and they are very tolerant of my habit, despite Lacey's glare in this pic!
gig.gif

Her next lesson for the Littles will be 'HOW TO EFFECTIVELY BEG FROM GULLIBLE HUMANS'.... She is a very fun hen and we do get to enjoy her antics a lot when she has chicks, which seems to be most of the time anymore!
It seems that your light sussex never goes broody. And the silver pencil rocks are always broody.

It looks like that the little one is working on it.
lau.gif
They are so cute!

Yep, thanks.... that little yellow fluffy butt looks like it is going to be the 'greeter' of this clutch...each hatch seems to have one chick which is more forward and brave and is the first to investigate new things and the first to come out to greet us and imitate it's mamma and the older birds.

It seems that your light sussex never goes broody. And the silver pencil rocks are always broody.

We haven't had a LS go broody yet, though both the hens and roosters are very patient and tolerant of all the littles running around. We are just now starting to get LS barnyard mixes and they are fun and friendly birds which are growing fast, I am looking forward to hatching some purebreds this spring.

And yes, the SPRs are broody almost constantly!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom