Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Impressive! Glad you did share the pictures, I had never heard of pomeranian geese, are they primarily for eggs or are they dual purpose?

Pomeranian geese are an old breed that was originally developed in Northern Germany for meat. This breed of goose was considered one of the best table birds in colonial times and used to produce smoked goose breast. There is only a handful of breeding flocks left and their status is considered Critical by the Livestock Conservancy.

In Germany they are excepted in Grey, Buff, & White in solid & saddleback patterns.
In America they are only excepted in the Grey & Buff Saddleback pattern.

They are a medium sized goose that averages 15-18 pounds and lay around 15-35 eggs annually. They have great personalities. Even during breeding season our ganders are nice even when we're holding their girls. They make great "lawn mowers" and would rather eat grass and weeds than pellets during the growing season. During the winter they eat hay and pellets mixed with wheat.

They are a beautiful breed that should have a single lobe, pinkish/red bill, legs, & feet with blue eyes. They should have a clean saddle and a solid hood that comes about half way down their neck. But since their numbers have gotten so low breeders have been forced to use less than perfect geese just to keep their numbers up. As a result the breed now also commonly has dual lobes, orange bills, legs, & feet, and messy saddles & hoods. Many breeders are working to correct this while also trying to keep their numbers up.

Our Pomeranians come directly from Laurie Mackie-Malcolms line. (Little Spring Farms in Maine) I showed her pics of my geese and she said that their hoods will fill in more when they're older (they will turn 1 in May)

Here's a close up of Melody's face

Hello from Central Pennsylvania!

My daughter (married and in a house a few miles away) and I just got our first chickens today!!! We have talked about it for years but today was the day!! :-D

Can anyone recommend a local source for an Araucanas/Ameraucanas pullet? I would love to add one to the small flock for the cool egg color. My granddaughter is 3 years old and I am sure will be tickled to have some colorful eggs!

Thanks for any suggestions! I look forward to getting to know you all and having those more experienced to bounce questions off of.

Shannon

Hello from Central Pennsylvania!

My daughter (married and in a house a few miles away) and I just got our first chickens today!!!  We have talked about it for years but today was the day!!  :-D 

Can anyone recommend a local source for an Araucanas/Ameraucanas pullet?  I would love to add one to the small flock for the cool egg color.  My granddaughter is 3 years old and I am sure will be tickled to have some colorful eggs!

Thanks for any suggestions!  I look forward to getting to know you all and having those more experienced to bounce questions off of.  

Shannon

Welcome from central pa I have green layers if u want any I could sell u some of the eggs to hatch if u want

Back
Top Bottom