Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Super newbie question. What comes first a broody chicken or leaving her eggs in nest? For Banty girls. I really want babies from these guys

Eventually and not sure where to start. All of you guys with babies and broody hens has me thinking I should really try it... everyone else is lol. And they are small so it's really like half a chicken right? My hubby should go for that.....

Ok all...time to put your 'neighborly abilities' to the test.
We are looking for 1 or 2 new silkie roosters. We need to watch our genetics and I would like to find new blood for the pen. I have a list of 'needs' and since these are hobby birds I don't need to be in a huge rush about it.
-We want at least one to be a blue/black/splash, the second could be about any color.
-I strongly prefer the rather clean faced ones, I want to be able to see their eyes and prefer the clean faced look especially since they may free range on decent weather days
-although we don't show I prefer to find show quality boys to keep a nice pen and to allow chicks to be 4-H projects if any local kids are interested. I think of the term 'show quality' more as a way to avoid major faults on a bird rather than something I expect to go out and show. I have just found so many hatchery birds aren't bred to breed standards anymore.
-I prefer they be younger (nothing over about 8 or 9 months), so just new to crowing would be great.
-we don't want 'teacup' sized, they should be, at minimum, an average sized banty. Most eggs get eaten here, so no need for teeny tiny hens and tiny eggs. And since the future hens will be broodies we want them to be able to handle more than 2 or 3 eggs.

If you know of any quality breeders who have extra boys who just don't quite meet their needs let me know. I am willing to drive for the right birds.
@Sally Sunshine.... tagging you since you see so many folks with different breeds on the hatching threads

I'm not sure if you'd be interested or not, but I think 2 of my new years babies might be boys. I'm not positive yet so I'd like to make sure first. They don't exactly fit your criteria though. Gabby it's a white, bearded silkie and has a pink comb. I won't be using him to breed mostly because of his comb. The other one that I'm suspicious of being a boy is Skittles, the showgirl silkie. He's an odd shade of grey and is clean faced.

Edited to add: in a month or two, I'll have extra silkie chicks from my own eggs (Gabby and Skittles are from shipped eggs) if you wanted to take the chick route. They would be blue or splash.

Last edited:
Super newbie question. What comes first a broody chicken or leaving her eggs in nest? For Banty girls. I really want babies from these guys

Eventually and not sure where to start. All of you guys with babies and broody hens has me thinking I should really try it... everyone else is lol. And they are small so it's really like half a chicken right? My hubby should go for that.....

Spoken like a true chicken math addict in the making!

I have found that leaving a few eggs in a nest (real or fake) can encourage a broody prone bird but it won't suddenly create one if the tendency isn't there already. With that being said it is more common (though not an absolute rule) for the banty types to be more prone to broodiness than large fowl, so definitely worth a shot.

A hen getting her broody hormones going may begin hoarding eggs somewhere inconspicuous for a while and then kick into full out broody mood after she feels she has enough gathered. When this happens you may notice early signs (some hens are more obvious than others)...the hens start 'talking to themselves' more, softly clucking as they move around....they puff up and growl when other flock members get to close, especially the roosters, and they may seem very desperate when scratching or dusting. These signs aren't a guarantee, and their intensity can vary widely from hen to hen, but if you notice it then it may be a good time to try tempting them with a nest of eggs.

Yooper:

Not a super experienced answer....broody happens or not at its own pace....you cannot affect it at all....if you are looking for broody types that's silkies and cochin's....now I will say it seems both Fisher and Anneintheburbs seem to have success at having alot of broody girls...their off spring should have the same propensities...my tow cents....

I'm not sure if you'd be interested or not, but I think 2 of my new years babies might be boys. I'm not positive yet so I'd like to make sure first. They don't exactly fit your criteria though. Gabby it's a white, bearded silkie and has a pink comb. I won't be using him to breed mostly because of his comb. The other one that I'm suspicious of being a boy is Skittles, the showgirl silkie. He's an odd shade of grey and is clean faced.

Edited to add: in a month or two, I'll have extra silkie chicks from my own eggs (Gabby and Skittles are from shipped eggs) if you wanted to take the chick route. They would be blue or splash.

I don't think your NY boys will fit, but the future chicks may work out well. I could have one of the broody girls raise them in the flock so no integration needed....but would they be clean faced? I know it seems odd to want both 'show quality' and clean faced but I have just always preferred the clean faced silkies.

He is keeping me busy! The kids are debating changing his name to Zeus. I've committed the Cardinal Sin of letting him in the house. All that training I read up on before getting Bella went right out the window.

Yep Blarney:

Cardinal sin.....can't be saved....send him over here....I'll suffer through his abundant flaws.....and BTW no doubt he'll end up sleeping on the furniture and in the bed....

On another note..,imho, Zues doesn't fit him....we should have a dog naming contest.....I submit....Nickle.....

I don't think your NY boys will fit, but the future chicks may work out well. I could have one of the broody girls raise them in the flock so no integration needed....but would they be clean faced? I know it seems odd to want both 'show quality' and clean faced but I have just always preferred the clean faced silkies.

Unfortunately no, they would be bearded. They usually don't have any issues seeing but that could be because I give them fermented feed and it gets in their hair and keeps it away from their eyes.

Ok all...time to put your 'neighborly abilities' to the test.
We are looking for 1 or 2 new silkie roosters. We need to watch our genetics and I would like to find new blood for the pen. I have a list of 'needs' and since these are hobby birds I don't need to be in a huge rush about it.
-We want at least one to be a blue/black/splash, the second could be about any color.
-I strongly prefer the rather clean faced ones, I want to be able to see their eyes and prefer the clean faced look especially since they may free range on decent weather days
-although we don't show I prefer to find show quality boys to keep a nice pen and to allow chicks to be 4-H projects if any local kids are interested. I think of the term 'show quality' more as a way to avoid major faults on a bird rather than something I expect to go out and show. I have just found so many hatchery birds aren't bred to breed standards anymore.
-I prefer they be younger (nothing over about 8 or 9 months), so just new to crowing would be great.
-we don't want 'teacup' sized, they should be, at minimum, an average sized banty. Most eggs get eaten here, so no need for teeny tiny hens and tiny eggs. And since the future hens will be broodies we want them to be able to handle more than 2 or 3 eggs.

If you know of any quality breeders who have extra boys who just don't quite meet their needs let me know. I am willing to drive for the right birds.
@Sally Sunshine .... tagging you since you see so many folks with different breeds on the hatching threads
hmmm only gal I know that breeds quality is Liz Web not sure she is on here, @sarasweatman @Blarneyeggs

Back
Top Bottom