Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Last couple days to make plans before the chicken train departs... So far I believe I am picking up some poults from Aurora for Blarney on my way out (@Blarneyeggs
, we need to talk about drop off)... and picking up some chicks from @dheltzel
for @hyzenthlay
on my way back on Tuesday.

I am looking forward to meeting you! What day are you coming this way? And where are you going?

HI I'm in Conshy/Whitemarsh Twsp as well!

Welcome! Southern Chester County here.

Hi ,
the t-shirt and the cabinet incubator courtesy of my wonderful husband Bob. I got the incubator from Carl Thompson in Blairsville, Pennsylvania. He's got a couple of other ones he wants to sell.
Today I put in 14 light Sussex eggs in and 10 crossbred light Sussex X Cuckoo Marans eggs.

Best,
Karen

Love Love LOVE the t-shirt. And the incubator, of course.

Last edited:
Thanks. We won't be incubating any time soon but will keep in mind if we ever do!

Welcome!
I work in KoP and I hatch a *lot* of chicks, so you can skip the incubating and get chicks from me whenever you need some.
What do you have now? Or are you still "kicking tires" and deciding what you want?

I hunk I have to remove two more eggs from the bator. One is a langshan egg that looks like it may have stopped developing, maybe two are like that. I hope I at least get two hens from the hatch. The turkey egg with the side air cell seems to have stopped developing as well, I am going to check in a couple days to make sure.

Unfortunately, I had another heat spike yesterday when it got very warm. Do they sell incubators that adjust the temps automatically? I would assume they do, but what is the approximate cost? I hate having to be always concerned about adjusting this little whirlygig handle thingy.

I am enjoying this nice spring break, but it was so hot today! I feel like I was finally acclimating to the cold, and I can't handle the heat yet.
lol.png

Can't wait to get planting though!
Good incubators do not have that problem. I think you have one of the cheaper styrofoam ones, right? I could never get them consistent, no matter how much I fiddled with them. I hatched chicks in those, but once I got a cabinet incubator with an adequate heating element, those cheap ones have just been collecting dust. Either the GQF Genesis or the Brinseas won't have that issue, but the cheap GQF's and the "knock offs" they sell at farm stores are just not able to provide enough heat to deal with fluctuating room temps. I think they could probably be fixed if a second heating element was wired into them, but there is not a lot of room in there and you have to think about burning chicks or fire hazards.

Good incubators do not have that problem. I think you have one of the cheaper styrofoam ones, right? I could never get them consistent, no matter how much I fiddled with them. I hatched chicks in those, but once I got a cabinet incubator with an adequate heating element, those cheap ones have just been collecting dust. Either the GQF Genesis or the Brinseas won't have that issue, but the cheap GQF's and the "knock offs" they sell at farm stores are just not able to provide enough heat to deal with fluctuating room temps. I think they could probably be fixed if a second heating element was wired into them, but there is not a lot of room in there and you have to think about burning chicks or fire hazards.

Not all styrofoam bators are bad in my opinion. Those farm innovators and little giants tend to be awful though. And most still air styrofoam bators are tough. I've found that the forced air hova bators all work really well. That's what I'm still using as my hatcher and honestly, I haven't adjusted the temperature control in that thing since I started hatching again in November lol

I am looking forward to meeting you! What day are you coming this way? And where are you going?

I'm heading out on Friday, stopping along the turnpike (76) to meet Aurora and then heading to Allentown. On Tuesday, I'll swing over to dheltzel and then link back up to the turnpike to head back to Pittsburgh. Where are you located?

Last couple days to make plans before the chicken train departs... So far I believe I am picking up some poults from Aurora for Blarney on my way out (@Blarneyeggs , we need to talk about drop off)... and picking up some chicks from @dheltzel for @hyzenthlay on my way back on Tuesday.
I'm not participating in the chicken train, but it's so kind of you to do it! I love the idea.

HI I'm in Conshy/Whitemarsh Twsp as well!

Welcome! Upper Bucks here.
Hi ,
the t-shirt and the cabinet incubator courtesy of my wonderful husband Bob. I got the incubator from Carl Thompson in Blairsville, Pennsylvania. He's got a couple of other ones he wants to sell.
Today I put in 14 light Sussex eggs in and 10 crossbred light Sussex X Cuckoo Marans eggs.

Best,
Karen

Better fashion than they have on the runways! Love the bator too, I'm jealous!

Quote:
Thank you. Yes, I am borrowing a still air styrofoam one right now. I think I might invest in a larger Brinsea if I can find a good price. If I bring home a cabinet that can hold 200 eggs, I might see my husband leaving that night, haha.
Quote:
Good to know. I still want to upgrade, because I don't even own this one! :)

We have a White Rock and a Red Star. Some say we should get a third just in case something happens to one so the other won't be lonely. Even now, if we take one out to hold it, the other(the white rock in particular) will tweet loudly looking for her sister!;) So we try to hold them both at the same time- which gets crazy because they are flapping their new wings and walking up on our shoulders. They're so fun!:)

Back
Top Bottom