Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi everybody! It's been a while since I have been on this forum, but I came across a problem with my Ancona duck. She seems healthy, eats a lot, and I mean A LOT (anything she can get her beak on), but she has these bad scabs on her back. The scabs are hidden under her wings and a bit of plummage but it seems like its covering the new feathers trying to come up. The scabs are big but I don't believe she has had any major fights with anyone. I have two other ducks but neither of them have scabs... Could she have mites or lice or ticks? I'm posting a few picture, but it was hard to get good quality ones that conveyed the size of them.
IMG_6813.jpeg
IMG_6814.jpeg
IMG_6815.jpeg
IMG_6816.jpeg
IMG_6817.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    841.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6823.jpeg
    IMG_6823.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 1
Over mating?
It seems too far down to be from mating, she does have feathers pulled out from her neck as expected but my other girl doesn't have any of these signs. It's sad to say but my drake is meaner to this girl than the other. Two of my ducks are runners and one is an ancona, so I don't know if it's the difference in the breed or just personality differences. I have thought about it maybe being mating but she won't even get in the water when he's in there anymore.

Huge kudos to Sally Sunshine for all her help in assisted hatching here on BYC!!
Thank you Sally! We had a big humidity problem in the incubator on hatch day. 3 chicks are out and in the brooder. I had to assist 3 more chicks who were shrink wrapped. They came out fine, no problems and are drying in the incubator now. I gave them Poultry Nutridrench to give them more strength.
Sally it worked great just like you advised in your article. Just a chip at a time. They are strong chicks, just couldn't get out. Plus I put 1 1/2 tsp. of Nutridrench in a quart waterer in the brooder for the dry chicks.
Thank you, thank you.
Karen in Ligonier, PA

Back
Top Bottom