Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

My boys sorted themselves out. Rico somehow got over into Romeo's pen and neither Romeo or his girls minded his presence. So he stays there although its not hiw I would have split them up. Cheeky is now the dominant roo in the other pen, but I may have to separate Deli Jr to the third coop if he ever reaches maturity :lol: Right now Deli is just like one of the hens.

At some point I will want to rearrange everyone so I can sort out some better breeding groups.

So, I'm holding out hope that Deli Jr is a pure Delaware.. his dad was and I think I still had a Delaware hen in that pen when I collected the eggs for the broody that hatched him. Both of my Delawares were victims of raccoons last year and it would be something special if I had a replacement Delaware roo rather than a backyard mix. Some of my Delaware over dark cornish mix make a lighter color hen so one of those ladies could be his mom. He looks like a Delware. :confused:

Last edited:
Anyone on the west side of the state have guinea eggs or keets?
also if anyone has room for one or a pair of buff smooth Sebastopol 1 year old ganders let me know! I’m looking to give them a nice home. They are well mannered minus the fact they try everything they can to escape their pens to mate their sister 🤪
We’re located just south of Erie.

Today was some coop maintenance...general cleaning and replenishing the dusting pits with a mix of sand, ashes and peat moss. Hens all seem happy. Broodies are still a gang of 6 raising the chicks, a minor skirmish here and there but not frequent and they all tend chicks so we are happy so far. It is nice not to have 5 or 6 broody boxes scattered around. We did take the heat light away since we put a heat plate under the waterer instead. The chicks certainly dont need it, even though the little buggers did like the sauna routine.
20200216_155608.jpg

LOL!! I’m picking up one of those turtle sandboxes myself on Friday! 😄I was so happy to find it on Facebook Marketplace, I had one as a kid and my feather babies will love it!

I spent today’s lovely sunshine in the chicken yard too. Installed a new roost in the coop, planted a deer pear tree (in a pot, it’s on the septic system), moved an old (large) planter from the driveway up against the chicken fence (to plant their medicinal herbs in), and dumped 2 trash cans full of chicken poop in holes I am preparing for my Heirloom roses🌹. That’s the fertilizer reserve, they won’t touch that until their roots sink in for a few years. I still have to pile topsoil on top of it. For 2 roses! I REALLY want them to grow!✝:fl I also put a brooder together with an old lumber box the chickens have been using as yard furniture. It’s inside the coop instead of in MY house like last year! I set up my old TSC coop with a collapsible puppy pen as a quarantine/breeding/baby/growout yard, that required fixing the darn thing’s leaky roof and I still have to repair the roosts, all of which broke their chintzy wood brackets. With the exception of all the MUD, my yard looks GREAT!:celebrate Not bad for a disabled person doing all the work by herself with no power tools!😄 If only I could find flagstones cheap...

I ❤my chickens!:love

I'm putting feelers out for Mille Fleurs, my son would like to hatch them, and possibly breed them. He needs to hatch them the latest by April 19th. It's a FFA & 4-H project. 1st part he shows the "baby" chicks at an event, and then he shows the hens and roosters at the county Fair. I know it seems last minute, but we were unsure with the cold. He really has his heart set on these chicks. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

I'm putting feelers out for Mille Fleurs, my son would like to hatch them, and possibly breed them. He needs to hatch them the latest by April 19th. It's a FFA & 4-H project. 1st part he shows the "baby" chicks at an event, and then he shows the hens and roosters at the county Fair. I know it seems last minute, but we were unsure with the cold. He really has his heart set on these chicks. Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.

Are you on Facebook at all? There are multiple chicken groups on there. Someone on there may either have some or know where you can get some. There's Central PA Chicken tenders, pennsylvania chicken talk, PA hatching eggs and poultry sale/swap, pennsylvania farmer's exchange. I'm sure there's more but that's all my brain can muster up right now lol

Last edited:
Where are you located? I know someone with a breeding group in Bucks County. I am incubating 2 of those eggs now and they were developing when I candled.

Anyone on the west side of the state have guinea eggs or keets?
also if anyone has room for one or a pair of buff smooth Sebastopol 1 year old ganders let me know! I’m looking to give them a nice home. They are well mannered minus the fact they try everything they can to escape their pens to mate their sister 🤪
We’re located just south of Erie.
Too early for guineas. Mine start laying in May, sometimes April. They are pretty cheap to buy mail order and if you don't want 25 or 30, you can sell the extras at a profit. They are not the best shippers, I generally lose a few. Sand Hill Preservation Center sell lavender keets for $3, but you have to order well in advance and be patient.

Back
Top Bottom