Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Only true ways to know about worms are to see them in the poo or have a float test/fecal test done by your vet. Runny poop is a common sign of a digestive upset due to any number of causes from new feed, spoiled feed, nutritional deficiency (rare when feeding commercial mixes), overheating and drinking too much water (summer problem) or intestinal upset from worms. Spring is notorious for worm problems with the muddy conditions.

If you don't have a regular worming schedule you should plan to use a wormer or have a fecal check done before the birds begin to loose condition.

I have a few 8 year old hens going strong.... so anywhere from 3 years (some production eggers die young from reproductive tumors) to upwards of 10 years for some lucky ones (usually barnyard mutts are the healthiest group in my experience). I love are old girls... they are the best.

What wormer, how much, and how often? I tried doing research last time with wormers but there are so many different kinds and different suggestions. I just need someone to spell it out for me and I'll get it done.

The chickens have regular solid poop, runny poop, and dark black poop. It all seems pretty normal, but the poop on their feathers is not normal for us. I've been checking for worms and have not seen any but could there be some kinds that are too small to see?

ETA: I love our old girls too! They're the friendliest. I'm guessing they're around 5 years now so I'm happy to know they can be around for a few more years!

A friend of a friend at church lent me her incubator, so I am preparing to hatch 46 or so of Hero’s last eggs (really didn’t know my girls laid that well, that’s only a week’s worth!). It’s a Miller’s Little Giant #9300 Still Air without turner, probably from TSC. I gotta look up the proper humidity settings, unless anyone here knows? I’ll pop over to the Incubation/Hatching forum next. Please say a prayer and wish me luck!🥰🌹

Only true ways to know about worms are to see them in the poo or have a float test/fecal test done by your vet. Runny poop is a common sign of a digestive upset due to any number of causes from new feed, spoiled feed, nutritional deficiency (rare when feeding commercial mixes), overheating and drinking too much water (summer problem) or intestinal upset from worms. Spring is notorious for worm problems with the muddy conditions.

If you don't have a regular worming schedule you should plan to use a wormer or have a fecal check done before the birds begin to loose condition.

I have a few 8 year old hens going strong.... so anywhere from 3 years (some production eggers die young from reproductive tumors) to upwards of 10 years for some lucky ones (usually barnyard mutts are the healthiest group in my experience). I love are old girls... they are the best.
I have a worm question while we’re at it.... my girls pretty much all have poop on their butt feathers that I’ve trimmed off but they’ve been wormed and seem fine. What else could that mean? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Thanks for the knowledge!

View attachment 2114617
I love my babies. The welbars are startlingly beautiful! (Thank you, Dennis) Does anyone know anything about Gold laced wyandottes? I was trying to replace the pretty hen I got from Jack, but these two kids (mypetchicken) have so much black in their plumage. Is there any hope of them molting out prettier?

I had a golden laced wyandotte that never got more gold. She stayed the same for years. Molt didn't change anything

I have a worm question while we’re at it.... my girls pretty much all have poop on their butt feathers that I’ve trimmed off but they’ve been wormed and seem fine. What else could that mean? 🤷🏻‍♀️ Thanks for the knowledge!
Is their poop watery or heavy in urates, with a green, grayish, or yellowish tint? Do they have soft, fluid-filled crops or any congestion? Are they noticeably losing weight? These might be signs of a mycoplasma infection like the one I’m fighting, in fact I lost another one of my laying Marans to it today. 😢 Apparently it’s really bad this year, probably from all the rain. Even my new Silkies arrived with it. There are 2 major types of mycoplasma: one is 90% lethal but survivors develop immunity, and the other is usually 1/2 that lethal and can be treated with certain antibiotics (Denegard or Tylan), but recurs chronically. I hope it’s something less devastating in your case. :fl ❤️✝️

Getting started! :fl🥰
C943A0C4-986A-44B4-9A01-7A7DED5CF960.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom