Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

She is quite a character. She came to hubby thinking he has treats, and accidentally stepped on a duck on her way. The duck was so mad, and pecked and chased her all over the place.
My son was checking his new girls every couple hours, but they are still very scared. The polky girl wouldn’t stop pecking ameraucana girl, who is eating her own feathers. I thought she wants protein, but they wouldn’t eat the mealworms I gave them. I guess they just stressed?

Aw, poor girls! Yes I'm sure they're very stressed since they've never been anywhere else and are used to running loose. I'm sure they'll calm down soon. I'm really surprised the polkie is picking on the ameraucana.... she's usually very mild mannered and sweet

Awww, bless her heart, Cate is actually laying. She's my 5 year old Marans that never was a reliable layer. It had to be her egg - only brown layer I have. It was soft and broken, and I think someone ate the yolk part before I got to it. If she has been actually laying, that might explain the damp spots I see sometimes in the nest area. Weak shelled eggs get broken, then get eaten FAST. Buncha piranhas, or velociraptors, these feathered fiends are!

Yes, definitely velociraptors! Wonder if there is a calcium supplement you could give her directly for a short period to boost her system for shells. I know free choice oyster shells usually are enough but maybe she isnt using them or they aren't enough for her needs.

Found this little egg today. Not sure if it’s from Blue Bear again, or from our other Welbar Henny. It’s much darker than the first one, and is a perfect chocolate color. Does pullet egg change color so dramatically? Henny just started to squat yesterday, but has large, bright red comb.

Attachments

• 23E13E88-3985-4490-9D74-C3B17059F59F.jpeg
    23E13E88-3985-4490-9D74-C3B17059F59F.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
Aw, poor girls! Yes I'm sure they're very stressed since they've never been anywhere else and are used to running loose. I'm sure they'll calm down soon. I'm really surprised the polkie is picking on the ameraucana.... she's usually very mild mannered and sweet
They act normal today. Ameraucana girl still hides, but not pick her own feathers anymore. Sun stopped pecking her. Nobody touches mealworms though. They also wouldn’t eat the special treats, but eat feed good. Strange girls.

My girls hate mealworms too--at least the dried ones. Only a couple will go for bugs. I am hoping they all develop a taste for Spotted Laternflies!
That’s strange! All my girls from Dennis love mealworms. Our chickens actually hatched together at the same time. My silver Welbar looks identical to yours and she goes crazy for mealworms. The two little ones started to eat mealworms and treats today. I guess they finally start settling down. I also had a fan for them today and believe it helps them feel better.

Back
Top Bottom