Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I think I may just stick with black & white chickens from now on....
spitz-group.jpg

We didn't get much storm yesterday. The wind picked up and it got dark like it was going to let loose then it casually sprinkled/rained for maybe 30 minutes and quit. Not even enough to make the parched ground wet around here. The grass through the whole park has dramatically slowed down with growing and in a few places, its starting to get that "drought brown" appearance which is going to spread if we don't get some sustained rain soon.

We started using electric around the chicken area after our poodle got my legbar pullet. It just took one shock and he never tried to get to the chickens again. It also is rather easy to set up -- any plastic can be used as an insulator around the electrified polywire and if insulated the wire can be woven through netting, hooked onto trees, really put anywhere. Just a single line 9 inches off the ground is enough, but I also have netting/chicken wire set up throughout to keep the chickens in, and a 2nd polyline on top to keep the chickens from roosting on my fencing, and to keep the foxes out.
I would love to see your set up sometime. We have not used electric wire around our enclosures, but have considered it.

Now I see why I never wanted to make a log in 😂😂 I am such a sucker! - we currently have ducks, chickens, dogs, cats - live on a bit over 20 acres, which half is hayfields - and.. mini cows! I have been looking into expanding the homesteading - I actually did estimates this year on how much hay we have to what we can keep LOL. My kids want horses, I want goats, pigs, horses and now mini cows! 😁
Wait…you have mini cows? Or are planning on them? Inquiring minds….you know.

The caution I would offer with taking rescues is that the poultry world has a lot of really nasty diseases with very few effective vaccines and treatments. The current discussions about respiratory diseases makes the point here better than I ever could. Quarantine sounds good, but is, in truth, ineffective, as many diseases can reside in birds with no symptoms for months, years, their entire lives, but still be able to pass those disease agents on to other birds.

I think if you take in enough rescues you will accumulate all the nastiest diseases and they will take out most of the birds you are trying to save.

That is a pretty grim assessment, but in practice, poultry rescues are nothing at all like dog and cat rescues, where pretty much every disease is preventable and treatable. The state of poultry medicine is not even close to that, poultry are usually culled when they get ill as they are regarded as livestock by the vet practices and schools (as a rule). I applaud your intent and hope it works out for you better than my predictions here.
Good and informative response, Dennis. Also, Happy Belated ‘Pretend Birthday’

LOL, If FB would let me change my birthday, I would change it every month to be the next month, just to game their system. I really hate FB. I think I could just stop hanging out there now that chick sales are over for the year.
Good and informative response, Dennis. Also, Happy Belated ‘Pretend Birthday’

Most storms here in mifflin county have followed the mountain ridge and gone just east of us. We can see them but nothing makes it here.
Except last nights hit and miss rain, of course it hit here we have hay on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom