Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Hi everyone. New to this site and new to chickens. I am about an hour north of Pittsburgh. I am looking for breeders of black copper marans, easter eggers, and Ameruacanas (spelled wrong, sorry...on my phone) I would love to buy chicks (or started pullots) from someone local if possible. Otherwise I will have to go with a hatchery.

I want them in the spring and am just excited to look for them now haha.

I want a nice colorful assortment of eggs. I am hooked on chickens!!!

Welcome Wolfsnap! I have BC Marans, but am not near you, hopefully someone closer chimes in. You certainly are giving enough notice.

Heather, I hear ya on the farm show. I'm hesitant to take my birds for show as they have to be there sooooo long. When you say 'people have lost every bird', I'm thinking you mean they got sick, not stolen, right? Apparently there was some kind of crack down last year, and two different breeders were sent away at the door as their birds had obvious Corzya (sp?). I couldn't figure out why there were so few birds and one of the men there that waters and feeds the birds told me more than 100 birds were denied entry. I do think my kids will participate in Showmanship as the birds don't have to stay the whole week (so I've been told, need to check for sure).

Hi everyone. New to this site and new to chickens. I am about an hour north of Pittsburgh. I am looking for breeders of black copper marans, easter eggers, and Ameruacanas (spelled wrong, sorry...on my phone) I would love to buy chicks (or started pullots) from someone local if possible. Otherwise I will have to go with a hatchery.

what town do u live in im about an hour and thirty mins from pitsburg and have ameraucanas

Hi Wolfsnaps, eastern PA hear welcome to the thread!

I have a sneezing chicken ugggg vetrx has not taken care of it, its one of my buff brahma Hawaii.... No discharge, seems fine, begs like crazy, still good and heavy... Am I just a worry wart? I am so worried I will loose them.... should I give them some antibotics or something? I cant afford anything major thats for sure, and why the bejimmenies are they NOT laying eggs?? I got them May
13ths they should be laying!! I have lighting in the coop for 14 hrs daylight too!! I looked everywhere for eggs and nothing, nest boxes arent even touched!

I refuse to go to the Farm Show. I see no need to have birds there for an entire week, on a feed they are not used to and drinking water they are not used to. That, coupled with the fact that it is in the WORST part of winter and you KNOW little kids are gonna be poking their fingers through the cages at the already stressed birds...

Just not a good combo. If it was a weekend, I'd be all over it, but I don't think I will ever put my birds through that. After 2 or 3 days at a show, the birds are exhausted. You can see it in their eyes and in their movements. They are "done" at the end of a weekend show.

I have a sneezing chicken ugggg vetrx has not taken care of it, its one of my buff brahma Hawaii.... No discharge, seems fine, begs like crazy, still good and heavy... Am I just a worry wart? I am so worried I will loose them.... should I give them some antibotics or something? I cant afford anything major thats for sure, and why the bejimmenies are they NOT laying eggs?? I got them May
13ths they should be laying!! I have lighting in the coop for 14 hrs daylight too!! I looked everywhere for eggs and nothing, nest boxes arent even touched!
Hi Sally,
My four girls were born/hatched on May 1st, 2011, and Agnes, my JG, laid her first egg on Oct 14th(World Egg Day) last year, at 23.5 weeks old. Pearl, my BO, was 2nd on Oct 28th, @ 25.5 weeks. And Florence, BLRW, was 3rd, on Halloween, @ 26 weeks. Don't know how Brahmas compare to these breeds, but I'd say it should be very soon. Have you had any squatting or egg songs? Agnes and Pearl both did quite clearly, Florence has never done either. (My Sylvie, SLW, died just short of her first birthday, never having laid. She had a severe cross-beak and failed to thrive. But she was the bossiest, pushiest, most interactive & interesting girl I've had.) I don't know if that helps you decide the timing treating them, but you might just get it done, now, just before they start.

mm

Back
Top Bottom