Pentagon to Detail 20,000 Troops Inside the United States

I wouldn't necessarily call those "military acts". Typically those are exercises that involve the cooperation of the local authorities. Usually emergency preparedness type exercises. Obviously something went awry in these instances, and I am sure they were thoroughly reviewed at many levels to see if any laws were broken.

My friend's son is a Marine MP. He's been informed that he needs to choose a new profession because the military has decided to contract out the law enforcement stateside. They will no longer have military police. If he wants to remain a MP, he has to be willing to be sent to Iraq again. Part of his re-enlistment contract was to remain stateside (he'd been deployed twice).

I didn't read the entire thread, but seeing as how local and regional disaster response just ain't.... I'll be glad to have them around when the time comes!

Quote:
I've never seen the military give an enlistment contract like that. Our job is to fight where needed. In the Air Force, if you are not deployable you are out on the street. I can't imagine it would be much different for a Marine.

I've seen the Air Force go back and forth on security personnel for years. Civilian security was common place on stateside Air Force bases twenty years ago. Then they decided to get rid of most of them and use our own Security Police. With a couple of wars going on now they are spread thin, so they are hiring a lot more civilians again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
I can't know for sure of anything but seeing some military troops
doesn't scare me at all. What scared me is the proliferation of
weapons like nukes that could kill millions. If our government stood
by and did nothing what would we think of the gov?

I'm with Mac on this one. 20,000 troops spread out through a country
of 300 million doesn't worry me at all.

Quote:
Y'all make it sound like they'll be cruising the streets in Humvees, peering in your windows, and marching on town square. They are just regular Army battalions, stationed at US Army bases. These units just have a newly defined mission. They will train to provide disaster response within the US and deploy within the US as needed...

Quote:
Y'all make it sound like they'll be cruising the streets in Humvees, peering in your windows, and marching on town square. They are just regular Army battalions, stationed at US Army bases. These units just have a newly defined mission. They will train to provide disaster response within the US and deploy within the US as needed...

That was exactly my point. 20,000 troops is nothing in scale.

Personally, I'd like to see more of our troops here, especially on border
patrol, but that is a different subject.

Quote:
This was the point I wanted to make, but failed to do so - why is it the military's job to deal with this? I, too, have no fault with our troops or with being prepared - I am just wondering why it is the military's duty in this instance.

maybe I'm just missing something in the article -
meri

Quote:
This was the point I wanted to make, but failed to do so - why is it the military's job to deal with this? I, too, have no fault with our troops or with being prepared - I am just wondering why it is the military's duty in this instance.

maybe I'm just missing something in the article -
meri

Well, it's twofold. We need these troops ready to respond to NBC attacks within our borders, according to the article this has been in the works since the mid-90's. I think the other part is in response to criticism of the federal response to Katrina. The general public seems to think the feds should be able to step in and save the day when every other plan goes to hell. Plus, this is fairly easy to fund within the military budget. Where else do you find money to pay for 20,000 employees whose only job is to train for contingencies and respond to them?

Quote:
just a side note.. the airforce and the marines are totally different.. I lived for 5 years on a marine corps base and then also frequented the air force base .. night and day.. in everything.. even at that I was married into the navy.. even different still...

But with that said.. I do believe that the government is sneeky and doesnt tell all. There were many warning signs before 9/11 that were not told to the people.. Lots of these pre 9/11 warnings were brought out after the fact..
roll.png

Now as for trusting the government?? I dont think so.. After 9/11 all the government could tell the country was to spend more money??? WHAT!!! And then they make a very large decision 700 billion dollar one.. without even letting the people vote on it or even now ask the people how the money should be spent.. then with the government leading the way to bad budgeting they tell the people to spend spend spend also leading to bad budgeting... then you wonder why we are in the situation we are in..

so no I do not trust the government in any way shape or form.. too many decisions that have been made that are just odd to me..

So as for something that might be going on.. I think I will be staying on the Better safe than sorry side of this coin.

Dont get me wrong I also dont believe that they are roaming the streets in neighborhoods looking in windows either.. But as for the martial law possibility I wouldnt put it past them.

Back
Top Bottom