peonies

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by cassie, May 15, 2016.

1. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Does anyone know anything about peonies? I have lived in this house four years. I have two bushes I thought were peonies but I wasn't sure because they never bloomed. I now know they are peonies because one of the bushes is blooming. It is very pretty. Does anyone have any ideas why they have never bloomed until now and what I can do to make sure they will bloom again next year?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Peonies will not bloom if they are planted too deeply. I think they are pretty specific re: their nutrient needs also. I'll do a google to see if I can find info. for you. You might try re-homing that one that does not bloom to an other site. Is it getting lots of sun? IMO, any plant that is shaded or has tree root competition is at a major disadvantage. While it may survive, and grow, a plant that does not have such competition will outshine the one that does.

Here you go: Peony care all in one nicely written article. https://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2011/05/16/my-peonies-dont-wont-bloom/

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    The sun, or lack of it, may be the problem. I might transplant them this fall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by