People are so ungrateful

I wouldn't plow again... as the others said, she may sue.
ep.gif
But here is what I would do... I'd send her an apology note with a list of places she can pay to plow her drive. I'd just like to make her realize that he was doing it out of kindness and that really, she is just being a miserable person in all of this. Kinda a farewell and smother them with kindness kinda thing. I mean, I wouldn't get sappy about it, just a "I'm sorry that you aren't happy with your freebie plowing, I thought that I was doing a kindness. Since you probably still need someone to plow, these are some for pay plowers that you may want to have lined up next time you have too much snow".

Today my neighbor brought over some organic strawberry smoothie for me... good neighbors are awesome.
celebrate.gif

Then again, there may be some truly awful, scary things happening in her life right now and she's taking it out on him, because that's all she can do. It's they only thing she feels like she can control.

I'd suggest talking to her once. And once only. Ask her very nicely what the complaint is about. If she keep being horsey, drop her, and tell her why. If she breaks down, comfort her and tell her there's no need to pass the misery on.

It seems that, in really tough times, some folks get really defensive and hostile without any real reason besides stress. So they take it out on some innocent soul.

Read my sig line if you want to know why I spend so much time on the fence. When my mom found out she had cancer? She didn't tell anyone for a while. But she got mean as an ill tempered snake. It was fear.

Quote:
This was my thought. Best not to contact her at all and hope she doesn't contact you. I doubt that not charging would be a defense if she could convince a court he caused damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
That was a very kind and considerate response. You're right about people having problems and taking it out on others. Empathy is a great characteristic.

She may be going through a rough time. Doesn't change the fact that you can't clean it to her satisfaction. Just let it be, but don't plow any more. If she asks, be truthful but polite. It's not worth getting into a war over a free service. Just let it be.

Our old neighbor used to plow our driveway for free for us out of the kindness of his heart. He accidentally hit our satellite dish and cut off our service, and we had to pay to have it fixed but we never would have dreamed of saying anything! It strikes me like complaining about free beer being warm! How ungrateful!

Quote:
That was a very kind and considerate response. You're right about people having problems and taking it out on others. Empathy is a great characteristic.

============
Yes, that WAS very sweet and thoughtful, however, if you choose to go over to have that nice-but-not-sappy talk, I'd take a witness. If it IS just plain orneryness (remember that she DID spread those rumors about him) and she's sue-happy, at least he'll have a witness that he didn't molest her or something.

I wouldn't plow any more...if she ever asks then you can explain that your dh was doing it out of the goodness of his heart but because she seemed to have an issue with his plowing that you thought it would be best if she hired someone to do it.

No more plowing for her. We have a neighbor who shows up and roughs out our driveway and the driveway of everyone along our road for free. If anyone chooses to give him a rough time, he just does not show up next time. If she calls and asks why she wasn't plowed out simply say, "I'm sorry, but we can't do any better than we did last time. Please hire someone."

I agree pass her by.
It would be my concern her suing your DH.

Just a thought. Send your other neighbors a nice Thank You card thanking them for helping out on the cost of fuel and how much you all appreciate it.
Don't send one to that lady, but she will hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom