people with house chickens

I didn't know there was a thread like this. I have just recovered my Prince who has been missing for 6 days. He is in the house and I would like to keep him that way. Is there a way to housebreak him? If I can't housebreak him, my husband is going to have a fit. We have had Sam the Silkie in the house for over 3 weeks for quarantine and he poops a lot. Sam will be going outside but I don't want to lose Prince again, I free range and he just disappeared. He has to stay where I can keep an eye on him. I have other chickens and 2 roosters out there that might have run him off. I can't let that happen again.

It's possible to train a chicken to poop on a newspaper or in their cage, but I heard its hard and they'll be running back and forth all day. Diapers are the easiest things, for you and the bird. When I got them, they were about $15 each which was pretty good.

How often do you need to change their diapers per day? Approximately.

Depends on the amount of poop and if it's runny. The squirty runny poops will have to be changed out because the moisture will irritate their vent. Firmer solid poops don't usually have to be changed out. I've changed once a day to as much as 3 times a day depending on the amount or consistency of the poops. I've had my Silkie walk around with an egg in her diaper pouch and without breaking it!

Do the feathers get terribly messy?
I don't want him getting cold or to use the blow dryer on him as an every day thing.

We washed our Silkie's butt (just the butt area) with baby shampoo and she got used to the running water in the bath sink every evening. She loved the warm blow dryer. She taps on our floor fan because she likes air blowing through her feathers. Our Ameraucana likes the blow dryer too when we wash her tush.

Back
Top Bottom