people with house chickens

Pics
49910_true_lovee.jpg

just another picture of my and callie!! oh i love her sooo much.

last night we had her out in the living room and we got another one of the birds and put them out too and then fed them meal worms. they were soo funny! 1 of our chickens is just plain special needs, like im not even kidding. but my sister wont admit it. hahahaha. the other one is like nearsighted or something!! she would keep trying to peck the mealworm on the ground right in front of her and would miss! over and over!! she always pecked the blanket RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT. lol. then the youngest chick, another bo, was kinda competition for callie. she would get 1 for callies 2 or 3.
smile.png

ive decided she is VERY spoiled. its ridiculous.

i'm hoping for a day with better weather than what we are currently getting-crummy sleet and cold rain that is expected all weekend.
hmm.png
i need to clean out the big, spring/summer coop to get the chicks moved out there. my other adults are in my garage coop since we had an extremely cold and windy winter here and it is easier to manage getting to them during the bad weather when we had it. the adults will eventually go out to the big coop too.

momma has let me check the eggs. i did it last night and 6 out of 9 eggs looked to be fully developed but she took some time going broody so i'm unsure when the eggs will actually hatch-feels like were going on week 4-5 now. i'm hoping very soon since i couldn't see through them at all (air cells were looking ready to go)! where she is in a dog crate and if we are very gentle with it we may be able to move her to the basement but i'd prefer to wait till the eggs hatch and i can move chicks without harm to them or mom.

my house boy Chickie may eventually get moved to his own pen but he will always be my pet! so for now my dh is fine with keeping him in the house and that is the only one he wants in here.

i'm waiting to find out if little Sunshine's eye will ever improve or if this is permanent. i'm also waiting to figure out the gender. this one has always been a runt, everyone else out of the hatch is so huge and feathered out now and this one still has patches of chick fluff on most of it's body.

where have you guy's been?? i tought i was the only one,well here it goes...I got 42 eggs in the bator,13 on lockdown,21chicks in the brooder,1 broody buff orp in the laundryroom she only comes in to sleep,and the rest when they get older will go outside, but i have 4 inhouse chickenshere is the first one Batty she was born here and has never left the house
38176_batty.jpg

and then we got Shelby
38176_eddy_and_crash_005.jpg

and i don't have pics of the 10 week old silkies,one is blue and the other black

Shelby is so cute! We have two silkies (kitchen chickens i call them) and I use to have a golden retriever named Shelby!!! (((hugs)))

My hens aren't housepets, but I am glad to see so many people who appreciate the pet value of chickens! I truly think they are underestimated.

I did once have a black star hen who jumped onto the ledge of our bedroom window & was thinking about laying an egg under the bed!

I am so happy to see others with "house chickens". My little bantam was attacked Monday night by her coop mates. They nearly scalped her so she has been living in our spare bathroom since then. I bring her downstairs to be with us in the evening. She follows me around the kitchen when I cook supper and has found a favorite spot on the bricks in front of the fireplace. She is so quiet and sweet and we enjoy having her with us. Here is a picture of her now...I am watching her quietly explore the living room as I type this
26808_000_0120.jpg

Quote:

I have a chicken named Shirley, too. Is yours sweet or fiesty like mine? My Shirley is the smallest one. I like to call her shrimp chicken.

Last edited:
I love all the pics and stories about the house chickens.

I think DH has given up on me ever having tough love with the girls. Gabby has slept on the buffet for months now. And Tilly was sleeping in a brooder at night to contain the poo. But now she is sleeping on the back of the couch. Whats funny is I don't think she can get up there or off by herself. Shes the cochin and just doesnt seem to get around as good as the non feather footed breeds. She stands at the bottom of the steps around 7pm and waits untill I notice her to bring her up the steps. If I dont, it takes her about 10 min to carefully hop up each step. Then she comes and stands by the couch. She'll cock her head and look right at me, if I am not paying attention she talks to me. Then I put her on the back of the couch. In the morning, by 6:30 she is screaming at me to get her off the couch. Of course she doesnt want to be carried down the steps untill the sun is fully up.

She is a spoiled chicken
smile.png

Gotta love them

That is adorable! I never really thought chickens had personality but mine do (and Tilly sounds like a real fun chicken!). Very different personalities. And I've noticed they "know" me now. I let them out of their "coop" in the morning and i clean, water, feed them every day. So i guess they would know me at this point. I worry about little Laverne (too much probably) shes so calm, quiet, no trouble. ... Shirley makes a ruckus if shes upset or needs something and she makes these happy purring sounds when she is comfortable. So I know shes ok (or not lol).

I love em. They are fun. The poo is a little gross though:D

Quote:
All my girls have very different personalities. They even have their favorite foods. Gabbys is cream cheese and bagels and Tillys is strawberry shortcake

The poop is gross. But I lucked out with Tilly. She doesnt potty in the house. She holds it untill morning then goes outside and has a poo the size of an egg. LOL Today she had to come in the house about 9am to lay her egg. I had to leave and didnt get back until 2:30. The only thing she left for me was an egg. Gabby on the other hand... well she knows nothing about bathroom edicate.

Back
Top Bottom