****PEPPERMINT and MICE UPDATE ****

Stacyoung13

Crowing
Apr 9, 2018
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi everybody,
I posted almost 2 weeks ago, about peppermint oil keeping mice away. I just wanted to let everyone know that it is still working. I sprayed every night when I locked my chickens up, until I didn't see any anymore. I went from over a dozen running around, to zero running around in about 3 nights. I have a camera in my chicken run, (chicken t.v.), so I'm able to keep watch. after not seeing any for a couple nights, I started spraying every other night. I haven't seen a mouse in a week. All I did is spray the ground around the feeders, I have 5 feeding stations, and I sprayed around both coops' doors, (I've never had any in the coops, but I didn't want to start).
Buying peppermint oil is kinda expensive, darn near $4 at Walmart. BUT, if you use the Walmart app you can get 5- 2oz bottles for $5.77, free pick up!! I put 1oz in spray bottle, (mine is 18oz bottle), and fill with water. I use 3-5 squirts, (depending on feeders), on ground around feeders. My bottle lasts almost a week.
The spray is also good for keeping ants out of cabinets.
I hope that this helps those of you out there that has a mouse or rat problem, or even ants. LOL
GOOD LUCK !!

I wonder if growing peppermint would keep mice away... oh right chickens will eat it! I might grow peppermint in the front yard where no chickens go (same place I grow Catnip) and them produce my own Mint oil... will it work with rats too?

There are lines of rodent repellents at the farm stores that are nothing but mint oils. The trick is reapplication as the scent fades. I keep a sachet in the engine compartments of the stored vehicles over wintering in the barn. I hit them with fresh oil every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom