Percentage of protein in starter feed for chicks?

bendystar

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
San Diego
Hi- I'm picking up my chicks tomorrow!! The man I'm getting my chicks from said it's very important to make sure there was high quality protein in the feed. He suggested starting with Turkey starter with 29% protein. This seems a little high based on what I've read. Any thoughts? Anyone have a favorite brand or can you recommend a good organic feed brand? Thanks for any input.
-Wendy in San Diego

I buy a chick starter with a Coccidiostat (sp?) in it. That is very important. If purchasing a chick starter formula it will have the proper protein amount and the medicine to prevent Cocci. Good luck and have fun!

I think it is high. I like Purina Start n Grow. I think it is 18%. It's not organic though. I wouldn't go over 20%. You can adjust your protein by mixing the chick starter with the turkey or game bird starter. Search "pearson square" or "pearson's square" to find out how to do it.

UGCM

Most chick starter feed is 20-24%. You can feed the the high protein, but only for a week tops. Then it is a waste of money because you will have all that feed left over. I usually get a small bag of 24% protein and feed that for two weeks than lower to 18-20%. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

You might check out this article if your chickens are intended to be a laying flock. As you can see, the recommended range for protein in starter is 18 to 20%. There is also a note that says it is not desirable to go higher. A pullet needs to develop to a certain stage of maturity before she can safely start laying. If you feed them high octane food, they grow too fast and may not be properly developed when they start laying. Not that it happens every time, but it does increase the risk of them being eggbound or prolapsed when they start laying if their internal egg laying factory is not properly developed.

A hen will lay better over a season if she is properly mature when she does start laying. I had a buff orpington that started at 18 weeks. I finally removed her from my flock as she continued to have problems with her laying system. Her eggs often were not right and neither was she.

Oregon State - Feeding Chickens
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/catalog/html/pnw/pnw477/#anchor1132074

I use 20% unmedicated chick starter. I used to use the medicated but I find this is better. the chicks seem to have more energy I watch for any signs of cocci but I have only had that happen to one chick that I got in January. I used sulmet and it was fine. The only chicks I feel that would need that high a protein would be jersey giants or some of the really big game birds. I wa told by the breeder to give my giant chicks higher protein if I wanted them to grow into their potential size for showing.THe average chick doesnt need that much I feel.

Back
Top Bottom