perching issues

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by swap, Mar 30, 2015.

1. swap

swap New Egg

Mar 30, 2015
    Hi...I have a coop that is 4'x4'x4' that the previous person followed from a coop building book. so there is a raised shelve in the back for the nesting boxes and a perch which is a 2"x4" 48"" in length) wide side down for a perching bar. We just received new pullets and there are 4 average size hens 2 brown leghorns and 2 hampshires and bantams, 2 seabrights. As of now four are roosting in the supposed future nesting are and the two bantams are on the rod.

I am afraid they will continue to roost like this and then we will have a messy nesting box area. I am stumped on what I can do to remedy this or is it not a big deal if they roost and lay eggs in the same place?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Sounds like you need to enlarge the building or add a taller area for roosting.
    4X4 is just big enough for 4 birds.
    The roost needs to be significantly higher than the nests or they'll sleep in the nests which is a bad thing.
    Perhaps temporarily if you put a top on the nests they'll sleep on top of them and not IN the nests.
    That still isn't appropriate. They need a roost bar so they aren't sleeping in feces.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    You are trying to house WAY too many birds in that small of a coop....time to build a bigger coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by