Perfectly formed babies died!

Swissmiss989

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Its day 22/23. I conducted a float test. I pulled out what was not moving at all and confirmed by candling. I have 6 Perfectly formed babies that died, didn't even pip. What can cause this? ( I had my DH open them and I looked at them )

oh, im so sorry! I do not know anything about hatching...but hopefully someone with some experience in this arena will come along and help out shortly.

So sorry about your babies.
sad.png
Here's a link to Pete55's sticky on hatching: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013
It's a very good read. I've noticed that many people have an incomplete understanding of the process, and Pete makes it very understandable. Obviously things can still go wrong, that's life, but knowledge is power. Good luck on your future hatches.

I just had this happen to my mix test hatch and what we found out a little to later our thermostat was not reading right, we had it set 101 and it was only 98, and our humidity was way low, and i made a big mistake opened the bator. when they say lock down!!! LOCK THAT BABY DOWN, on the last day make sure humidity stays around 70 and if it dont carefully open bator as little as you can and put a wrapped up hand towel wet with warm water in there and leave it. So sorry but dont give up try again, you will get the hang of it!
smile.png

first of all opening the incubator will not kill the chicks, in nature the hen leaves the nest to eat and then returns, low humidity or temps over 101 for an extended period of time is likly what happend. what kind of incubator did you use?

hugs.gif
love.gif
I have had the same kind of egg deaths and mine were caused because my humidity was to high during incubation. The chicks had grown too large to zip. They died in shell perfectly formed. I am so very sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Mine is a LG with a fan. I locked down on day 19 and raised humidity on day 20 and I let it ride. No one hatched till day 22. I didn't open it at all.

I started with a dry hatch tho (not going under 25% humidity) and found out my air sacks were getting too big so I upped humidity to 50/60 to stop the air sacks growth. Then returned to normal humidity on week 3.

Last edited:
the LG bators are crap bators. temp is never right and humidity is hard to get right. i have one and never had succsesfull hatches in it. temp changed to much. and humidity was high. i bought a new bator and have had perfect hatches. i now use the LG as a hatcher.

I had a similar situation. 50% hatch and most of the rest were fully formed. Based on limited experience I think my humidity went too high and they drown.
That was my best rate with a LG. When my new one is built this week I'm kicking that LG thermostat into the stratosphere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom