Perfectly normal hens stop laying?!

raro

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Hi there,
I have four red sex-links and they have been each laying one egg a day since I got them at 20 weeks last summer. All through the winter, I got four eggs per day. Then, a few weeks ago, I got three eggs. No problem, but for about 3 weeks straight, it's been exactly three eggs, no more, no less. Then 2 days ago, it was 2 eggs. And yesterday, 2 eggs.

They aren't in any kind of distress, and nothing has changed. They aren't broody or molting. I haven't changed their feed, environment, anything. They are enclosed in a large run, so I'm pretty sure there aren't any snakes or whatnot to steal them. Does anyone have a clue what could be going on?!?!

I can't tell if one (or, now, two) of them have completely stopped, or if they're "taking turns" not laying. ?!?!?

When was the last time you wormed your chickens? Have you dusted them it all for external parasites? Worms and mites can cause egg production to drop.

Are they getting any free-range time? I have 7 red sex-links (same age as yours). Nicer weather has set them free and I am finding eggs in weird places - this morning my favorite hen squatted in the driveway and dropped an egg! I believe they are having so much fun roaming that they don't want to be bothered coming back to the nests...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom