Performing necropsy myself

rockgirl365

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
Ravenna, MI
My crested cream legbar chicken named Applejack is still not standing up. She is probably going to die. It's always stressful thinking about whether or not to cull a chicken. We want the best for them and for us. I am trying to decide what to do. Currently she is just sitting inside. I can't find a vet that will help me and I frankly don't have two hundred dollars for the ones that might be able to help. This is my third sick chicken/death in the past 7 months. It's really sad that she is sick. My sister raised her from a chick and she was the first one to lay an egg in our flock. Beautiful blue eggs too.

Like I said, I am thinking about what to do. I hate seeing her unable to stand up. I hate it that she won't even eat out of my hand. Since this would be the third death, I don't want to just put her in the ground not knowing what happened. I could spend over 70 dollars to ship her to a lab for a necropsy. Is that even worth it when the sample isn't fresh? As far as having a fresh sample for accurate discovery, I'm thinking I might cut her open myself in my own backyard. I surely don't have the space indoors to do that. Therefore it must be done outside. Will that infect my other chickens? Have any of you performed your own necropsy? What are your general thoughts on necropsies and doing it yourself?

My crested cream legbar chicken named Applejack is still not standing up. She is probably going to die. It's always stressful thinking about whether or not to cull a chicken. We want the best for them and for us. I am trying to decide what to do. Currently she is just sitting inside. I can't find a vet that will help me and I frankly don't have two hundred dollars for the ones that might be able to help. This is my third sick chicken/death in the past 7 months. It's really sad that she is sick. My sister raised her from a chick and she was the first one to lay an egg in our flock. Beautiful blue eggs too.

Like I said, I am thinking about what to do. I hate seeing her unable to stand up. I hate it that she won't even eat out of my hand. Since this would be the third death, I don't want to just put her in the ground not knowing what happened. I could spend over 70 dollars to ship her to a lab for a necropsy. Is that even worth it when the sample isn't fresh? As far as having a fresh sample for accurate discovery, I'm thinking I might cut her open myself in my own backyard. I surely don't have the space indoors to do that. Therefore it must be done outside. Will that infect my other chickens? Have any of you performed your own necropsy? What are your general thoughts on necropsies and doing it yourself?
Yes there are diseases/illnesses that can be spread by without completely incineration after death. Just do the research first, if you haven't yet.
I am NOT against you doing it yourself... but since this is the third chicken to pass I can tell you that opening her up will unlikely give you an answer. Blood samples, stool samples and tissue samples need to be taken from all organs that could be involved. Tests to run that you don't have access to.
Most often, we don't necropsy animals and find the answers by looking at the inside with the naked eye, especially when the animal passed from a contagion. We do sometimes find obvious issues/diseases when we open them up in a sudden unexpected death on a seemingly healthy animal that had no tests done at all prior to death that would explain what happened... food for thought.
I am sorry for all your loss. It's even harder not knowing why. I'll be curious to know how it goes & if you find anything that can possibly aid your other chickens! I pray that no more get sick.

Define a not fresh sample. If she isnt dead yet, she's very fresh. :p if she does pass, put her in the fridge until the morning and then overnight her in a cooler with ice. The sample should be fine.

I literally use my kitchen fridge. I just put them in a ziplock and then grocery bag so they cant touch anything and I can't see them. DO NOT freeze or use dry ice.

Edit: I'm not arguing whether you should do it yourself or send it. I'm blessed to have access to free professional necropses. Just know you can get them the sample just fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom