Perhaps she just takes after my side - Barred Rock gender question

figlette

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
So she's a little thick in the legs. I am sure they are just egg birthing hips. Right?

Kiwi (the bird with the thunder thighs) and Bean are the same age (< 3 weeks). And I am sure the stance and comb are coincidental. Sigh.

Our girl to boy ratio for sexed chicks since the beginning.

First batch - 1 boy to 2 girls
Second batch - 1 boy to 1 girl
Third batch - it better be 3 girls or I am going to have a serious chat with the chicken sexer.

I have a well developed sense of paranoia around chicken gender. Thanks for the feminine thoughts all.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Hmm....I don't know about this one. The thick legs and organic-shaped spot on it's head leans toward rooster, but she also has real dark legs, which leans more toward pullet. I'm no sexing expert, but that's just what it appears to look like to me. You could try posting this on the 'What Breed or Gender is This?' board, and you may get more responses.

I sure hope she has some massive egg-laying thighs though, I wouldn't want you to end up with an unwanted rooster! Especially if they were supposedly sexed for you! Good luck!
fl.gif

Doh! That board probably would have made way more sense. I have my moments.

Thank you for peeking at lil' miss(ter) thunder thighs. He/She is a puzzler. And for the reminder about the other board.

that is quite a big comb....but I don't know this breed
hmm.png

speckledhen is a great person to ask for this breed
wink.png

Last summer I had a very roo-ish looking BR chick, with quite a comb at a young age. She also had dark splash on the legs, but iffy on the head spot. She was also a little lighter/whiter than the other BR. The comb was the real concern.

Now, as an adult, she has a very thick, fleshy comb. She very consistently lays medium-sized eggs. She still seems a little "butch" and her eggs are much smaller than my other BR's L to XL.

Here's Sam with her large comb at ~3 weeks, the middle chick next to the feeder:
7883_bwjp.jpg

Both of those have a more cockerel-like headspot, but the down and leg color says pullet. You would not believe the big feet on some of my BR girls when they are young, LOL. Just ask lockedhearts about her Shaq, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom