Perkins laying eggs without a shell

Homestead1

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2017
Hi can anyone give me some advise I have three Peking ducks they are two and a half years old. The last two months they have stopped laying daily and when they do lay they lay soft eggs. They have access to oyster shell. I did feed them on layers pellets but because of the problem I’ve tried fancy feeds wild fowl pellets because that food is specifically for them. Although I have changed their pellets I still have this problem. I have been giving them Kale and they have a little melon daily.

I’d start by giving them some calcium citrate it’s human calcium but seems to help the best when soft shell present themselves. You can find it at most pharmacies in tablet which you can crush up and mix into something like chopped tomatoes or sprinkle over the melon you give. I bought on line and mine came in capsule but works the same just offer over something tasty. 50 mg per pound of body weight. Try this for a week along with the oyster shell.

Thank you for your replies I really appreciate it. I will get some calcium citrate and stop the kale. Fingers crossed this will sort the problem out.
Yesterday one of them laid a tiny egg it did have a tiny yolk what’s that all about. My three Pekins are the first lot of ducks I have had they are beautiful and have lots of character.

@casportpony i do give it orally but it wasn’t until I learned from your info that you posted. Not everyone feels confident doing this can you please post the info you have shared please. Runners just like Pekins were developed for egg laying and because of this they can get depleted of calcium after laying so long so using calcium citrate helps them get those calcium stores built back up. Yes they can have leg issues because they are heavy and are meant to grow fast so they can be processed early but it hasn’t anything to do with those who keep them as pets. Feed them really well watch they don’t get over weight and they will be healthy as any other breed. We had a member who had a Pekin that was 12 yrs old. but I haven’t seen them have any more egg laying issues then any other top laying breed. When I find a soft shell I start the calcium citrate and it takes care of it.

I’d start by giving them some calcium citrate it’s human calcium but seems to help the best when soft shell present themselves. You can find it at most pharmacies in tablet which you can crush up and mix into something like chopped tomatoes or sprinkle over the melon you give. I bought on line and mine came in capsule but works the same just offer over something tasty. 50 mg per pound of body weight. Try this for a week along with the oyster shell.

This is what I got but the capsules would be better. I have to take a hammer and smash up the tablets and sprinkle over food because I couldn't find the capsules.
IMG_7255.JPG

You can buy pill crushers at any pharmacy. They are not expensive, and I find it much easier and less messy than a hammer. Though sometimes, a hammer can be very therapeutic :D
I never thought about that! I used to have a coffee bean grinder that I used to do it. Turned them to powder in 2 seconds but then it tore up so I use the hammer. If you start out very gently it doesn't make a mess and it can be very therapeutic!

Back
Top Bottom