Permethrin Poisoning??

EllieMae&Granny'sMom

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
I am new to this site but am hoping someone can help me. My son in law sprayed our backyard with flea spray containing permethrin a few weeks ago. He did not remove our 2 chickens from the yard while the spray dried as the instructions suggested. One of the chickens has not been the same since. She lays in her nest constantly. I have been getting her out several times a day & she will eat & drink a little but goes right back to bed. Neither of them have layed an egg since the spraying. Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience they might share.

hi I'm pretty new here to but make sure they drink plenty. some poly vi sol I think that's how you spell it lol baby vitamins they have em at Walmart just a drop or 2 also many some electrolites to help flush system out.

Does she puff up her feathers and "growl" at you when you take her off the nest box? If so she may be broody ~ broody hens stop laying eggs when they are broody.

I don't know if the permethrin spray could be the problem as permethrin dust is the main ingredient in poultry dust used for controlling lice, fleas and mites on chickens.

Just a thought, if she won't stay off the nest and hasn't laid an egg, could she be broody? What does she do if you try to take her off the nest? If it's just one chicken and not both, I wouldn't be thinking poisoning, but the vitamins and electrolytes won't hurt and might help.

She doesn't puff up & growl at all. It may not be the spray that is causing this I just assumed it might be as the symptoms started the next day. I've only had the chickens for about a year so I'm a 'new egg' still trying to learn the ropes. Thanks for your help!!

It's not usually known to harm birds. But in high doses it can hurt chickens. They do fade away, so like previously posted, keep them with fresh water and air. A touch of salt in the water will help eliminate the chemicals in their system.

I don't think she's broody because she's been this way for a few weeks and hasn't layed a single egg. She doesn't fuss at all when I pick her up. My neighbor, who is more experience with chickens, thought she might be having trouble laying & checked her out but didn't see anything wrong. Will try the suggestions I've gotten here & see if she improves. Will probably take her to the vet is she doesn't. Thanks again to you all!!

I would clean out her coop, her feeder and waterer and give her a bath. Boost her system with yogurt, boiled egg, poly-vi-sol WITHOUT iron, Apple Cider Vinegar in her water (do you have a plastic waterer?) If it is a very high dosage of permethrin then she has absorbed it through her feet and tracked it into the coop and nest boxes.

Hope she improves -- maybe the others are right -- maybe she's broody.

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom