Permethrin spray

Pics
yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
I was going through chemotherapy and first thought that the 'spots' were due to that because I was having some strange reactions to the drugs. Oncologist said she thought it was something biting me so we went down the list...bedbugs, no I just got a brand new bed. Ticks or fleas from the dogs, no they are on the tick pill and are groomed regularly. Then I told her I had chickens and they may have mites. Pics online of bites on humans matched up perfectly so she sent me to the dermatologist.
I don't really have an answer to your question because I don't know...the dermatologist thought I was being infected daily because I'd go into the coops several times a day. I have always used bleach in my laundry whenever I can and do bedding and towels every other day so I don't think they were in the house at all. I cleaned the coops and dusted the birds with livestock dust, burned my coop shoes, and started showering twice a day. I also used the cream and it all cleared up but getting rid of the mites in the coops may have been the key.
This time around I think I'm being infected by my broody hens. There are a dozen of them right now and I move them daily to get food/water as they aren't sitting eggs. Cleaned the big coop today and used the spray on the building. In the next week or so I'll clean the other coops and spray all the birds as well.

I was going through chemotherapy and first thought that the 'spots' were due to that because I was having some strange reactions to the drugs. Oncologist said she thought it was something biting me so we went down the list...bedbugs, no I just got a brand new bed. Ticks or fleas from the dogs, no they are on the tick pill and are groomed regularly. Then I told her I had chickens and they may have mites. Pics online of bites on humans matched up perfectly so she sent me to the dermatologist.
I don't really have an answer to your question because I don't know...the dermatologist thought I was being infected daily because I'd go into the coops several times a day. I have always used bleach in my laundry whenever I can and do bedding and towels every other day so I don't think they were in the house at all. I cleaned the coops and dusted the birds with livestock dust, burned my coop shoes, and started showering twice a day. I also used the cream and it all cleared up but getting rid of the mites in the coops may have been the key.
This time around I think I'm being infected by my broody hens. There are a dozen of them right now and I move them daily to get food/water as they aren't sitting eggs. Cleaned the big coop today and used the spray on the building. In the next week or so I'll clean the other coops and spray all the birds as well.
I really hope you don't give up chickens... But I would probably give them up before showering twice a day.

Once you get it under control and realize it might even have seasonal flare ups, maybe it will get easier for you.

I would consider breaking my broody's if they aren't hatching or getting anything adopted to them. They lose condition as they sit. Plus no eggs... My girls who sat and I waited for something to happen naturally... stayed in there a whole month or longer before I broke them. And they are shaky from not using their muscles. Just don't like to see girls in that condition with no pay off.

Also, for this thread... just wanna say I read a study showing mites develop resistance to this drug. So I would use as needed but avoid over using if possible.
wink.png

Quote: I only have six broody breaker cages and a dozen hens broody right now so I had to wait for a larger pen to open up. Butchered some pheasants last weekend and I'm now using that pen to house them. Moved the last one this morning and then resprayed the nest boxes they were in because that's where I saw the most mites.

I only have six broody breaker cages and a dozen hens broody right now so I had to wait for a larger pen to open up. Butchered some pheasants last weekend and I'm now using that pen to house them. Moved the last one this morning and then resprayed the nest boxes they were in because that's where I saw the most mites.
Ugh... my broody breakers have girls in line for them to!
barnie.gif
Must be the season.
jumpy.gif

I'm jealous! Eggs, and no broodies when I need them! I just lost my mind and set up an incubator (senility?) because the hens didn't cooperate this year. I haven't had to repeat the permethrin spray since last September!!! Mary

I'm jealous! Eggs, and no broodies when I need them! I just lost my mind and set up an incubator (senility?) because the hens didn't cooperate this year. I haven't had to repeat the permethrin spray since last September!!! Mary
I discovered my "horse fly spray" is actually on 5 or .5% permethrin... but I see zero evidence of parasite activity still!
thumbsup.gif

I'm jealous!  Eggs, and no broodies when I need them!  I just lost my mind and set up an incubator (senility?)  because the hens didn't cooperate this year.  I haven't had to repeat the permethrin spray since last September!!!  Mary

I discovered my "horse fly spray" is actually on 5 or .5% permethrin... but I see zero evidence of parasite activity still! :thumbsup

Did you know that you can make your own 0.5% permethrin horse spray using Gordon's?

Last edited:
Did you know that you can make your own 0.5% permethrin horse spray using Gordon's?
Yes, I will be buying Gordon's when I need to replace it. I bought the horse fly spray to help my goaties with mosquitoes before I even knew about treating chicken parasites, but since discovered this thread. The spray really does go a long way.

When I see your info posted there... looks like the spray I'm using might be stronger than I was thinking. Seems like the dose we are always talking about here is the 0.1%. The bottle does say it's OK to use on chickens still.

A while back when I found nits on 1 pullet I treated everybody. But paranoia kept me thinking crawlies are coming back. Of course the season has changed. But I keep checking and NOTHING.
yesss.gif

I was expecting it to be a mosquito deterrent but I don't think it prevents bites. I'm guessing it probably still kills them though. Hopefully before they go lay their eggs. Did you know that only female mosquitoes bite, because they need the blood to lay eggs? And the males feed on nectar (or pollen) I believe.
old.gif
Ugh, I hate mosquitoes!
rant.gif
Some of the girls are great at hunting them though.
smile.png

Thank you for ensuring that I knew about the more affordable option!

Hi everyone I purchased the 36% bottle . Would this still work ? And why does most people prefer the 10% bottle ? Im confused . Wouldn't the 36% bottle last more and be more efficient ? Please let me know . I don't want to harm my birds . Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom