Permethrin Spray

Where is the best place to spray permethrin and how often do you spray to control flies and gnats? I use Sweet PDZ in the roosting area which they sometimes eat a bit. I have pine chips in the run.

JT

I have only used it to treat a mite infestation. I just want to caution that it is extremely toxic to cats (for some reason they can't process it) so if you have any outdoor/barn cats, keep that in mind when choosing where to spray.

Oh boy those gnats are horrible aren't they? I still have yet to find anything that really controls those buggers so if perm. works let us know!
I have found (after the dairy farm moved in up the road) that the best fly irradicator is a spray consisting of vanilla/ water...... flies hate vanilla.
I also like to use the fly trap bags, away from the coops, that you add water to.

I have some Captivator Fly Traps and they do pretty good. I just want to elevate the battle with those pesky flying things. I also have some sticky fly strips in cages so the chickens don't get stuck to them, had that happen once...

DE is highly controversial product with many claims but no proof. If they breath DE it damages their lungs so I would not use a product like that. Besides they have the best dirt I can mine for their dust bath with a bit of clean wood ash mixed in.

JT

D.E. "controversial"...? That's a first. I studied/practiced entomology for 4 years and never heard it being called that. D.E. is better than dirt (depending on the composite nature) because it cuts through the arthropods exoskeleton more readily than dirt. Dirt/ soil acts as an irritant for the most part while DE works effectively to kill the insects. I'll take a natural remedy over chemicals any day. But hey to each their own.

So back to my question those of you that use permethrin spray to combat insects in what manner do you apply it and where? I've read the entire instructions and once dry it is safe so I'm thinking of spraying the inside of the roosting area walls as they are not allowed in there during the day and outside after they go to the roost.

JT

Depends on what king you're using. But I noticed a warning on the pool filter variety that warns against inhalation. Found the information below on Internet.

"Inhalation of crystalline silica is harmful to the lungs, causing silicosis. Amorphous silica is considered to have low toxicity, but prolonged inhalation causes changes to the lungs.[29] Diatomaceous earth is mostly amorphous silica, but contains some crystalline silica, especially in the saltwater forms.[30] In a study of workers, those exposed to natural D.E. for over 5 years had no significant lung changes, while 40% of those exposed to the calcined form had developed pneumoconiosis.[31] Today's common D.E. formulations are safer to use as they are predominantly made up of amorphous silica and contain little or no crystalline silica.[32]

The crystalline silica content of D.E. is regulated in the United States by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and there are guidelines from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health setting maximum amounts allowable in the product (1%) and in the air near the breathing zone of workers, with a recommended exposure limit at 6 mg/m3 over an 8-hour workday.[32] OSHA has set a permissible exposure limit for diatomaceous earth as 20 mppcf (80 mg/m3/%SiO2). At levels of 3000 mg/m3, diatomaceous earth is immediately dangerous to life and health.[33]

In the 1930s, long-term occupational exposure among workers in the cristobalite D.E. industry who were exposed to high levels of airborne crystalline silica over decades were found to have an increased risk of silicosis.[34]

Today, workers are required to use respiratory-protection measures when concentrations of silica exceed allowable levels.

Diatomite produced for pool filters is treated with high heat (calcination) and a fluxing agent (soda ash), causing the formerly harmless amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form.[32]"

So back to my question those of you that use permethrin spray to combat insects in what manner do you apply it and where? I've read the entire instructions and once dry it is safe so I'm thinking of spraying the inside of the roosting area walls as they are not allowed in there during the day and outside after they go to the roost.

JT

I use the mess outa permethrin and have two outdoor cats who havent been affected. I mix it one oz per gal from the bottles i have but ur bottles probably will have poultry use guidelines. I buy it at TSC but the local feed store carries it too i just dont support his husbandry techniques. I would totally do the inside of the coop and then everywhere outdoors when theyre not occupying whichever area to let it dry. I have applied it in the middle of the night after putting my toddlers to bed and it was better for me not to deal w the gnats. I really saturated the ground and all the puddles in the yard, everything in my efforts to battle the flipn gnats. They took 42 of my birds(only 1 large fowl rest quail) and i know several other peoples flocks in the area have suffered losses too. I had to respray everytime the grass was cut or it rained and thats been 10 times in two months. Gotta do it again too, theyre really nasty.

Back
Top Bottom