Permethrin Treatment question

bumblerumble20

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Hi All,
Well, you all were right and it turns out my mite infestation was significant. I tried poultry dust and the mites thumbed their noses at me and were back in 24hrs just as bad so I escalated to the Permethrin 10% and treated each hen, their coop, bedding and run. The hens are still (36hrs after being treated) shaking their heads constantly and when checked the coop and egg boxes, the eggs boxes had mites again which I figured is because the hens still have some mites and are dropping them in the egg boxes when they are laying. The instructions say to wait 2 weeks to treat again but my girls seem still uncomfortable and with active mites. Should I treat them again or just give the permethrin treatment I did more time to continue working? I don’t want to overuse the permethrin and possibly poison my hens but these buggers are EVERYWHERE!!!
Thoughts and suggestions please?

I'd treat weekly for three treatments, and double check your dilution of the spray concentrate. It doesn't seem to hold up well in the plastic sprayer, better to mix less and use it up every time.
Also if wild birds are getting into your coop and run, that's where these rotten mites are coming from, and reappearing.
We are fighting them right now here!
Mary

Thanks for your response Mary! So, I should wait a week to treat the hens again? I keep treating the egg boxes, roost, coop and run.
I found some in my basement on the chicken coop equipment and did a massive clean out and treatment of my basement. My skin is crawling constantly!!

I got a new coop because my previous one had rodents getting in and the wild birds were hanging around to get feed that was dropped. Since I got the new coop the wild birds are no longer hanging around-and the rodents can’t get in. I’m hoping this helps.

These mites are really bad! Thanks for you help and good luck with your mite fight too:)

Back
Top Bottom