Permethrin?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mylilchix, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

We're battling a milg mite infestation right now. When I went to the feed store they didn't have any sevin dust, but they did have a permethrin dust. The permethrin is only 0.25%. If I dust my hens with it how long should I wait to eat their eggs?

Thanks, Sonja

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Does the label say anything? My understanding, and I amy be wrong, is that permethrin is based on chrysanthemums, and therefore safer for dogs and cats. I'm not sure, so maybe someone else will know? Check the label, though, it might have something you can look up online.

3. mylilchix

The container says it's for vegetables and poultry as a cure for a northern poultry mite infestation. Unfortunately, the label just explains how to dust the chickens, but nothing else. I've been searching the web, but have come up with nothing!

Sonja

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    You can eat the eggs. I would not eat them if they are covered in dust, but if you put fresh shavings on the nest after you dust it, they should be fine.

5. mylilchix

Awesome!! Thanks for your help!![​IMG]
    Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by