Personality difference between different runner colors?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HappySlappyDuckfeet, May 20, 2011.

1. HappySlappyDuckfeet

HappySlappyDuckfeet Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Garden Grove
    Do you see any in your runners? Is any particular color strain calmer or more skittish than the other?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The only diffference between my runners is that the largest ducks (by several ounces and a few inches) are black, the smallest are chocolate, and the ones in the middle are of both colors and about the same size. I have five of each.

Personality wise, we have some variety, but no color seems to have a monopoly on sweetness. One black one is very happy to be petted, three chocolates are happy to be petted. But all will let me pick them up without much fussing. All will eat out of my hand except on of the chocolate huggers. All follow me around unless they are distracted by slugs (c;

When they were wee little ones, I named the two most human-friendly ones Einz and Zwei (One and Two). The smallest, the eleventh (at the time) was Elf, a chocolate. That has nothing to do with your question, but you've got me reminiscing now!

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I cant say skittish by colour but....
    1. My Metzer babies were ok untill they turned all goofy at 3 weeks and I couldnt get near them. Now I can walk within 2 inches of them and they are fine and will lay on my feet, nibble my face but as soon as I put a hand on them they swerve out of place. (chock, blue & F&W)
    2. The 3 I hatched out this year were skittish from day 1, I hatched out 3 Runner and 4 Pekin, all were skittish and living in the spare room. I spend alot of time with my babies when they are indoors, all my Pekins have been fine but the last lot I couldnt catch the slippery suckers in the brooder. I homed them at 3 weeks old, they were used to me and I could touch them but only just. 3 weeks later I got them back, they had been running round a yard with no iteraction and it took them 2 hours to catch them to bring them back to me.(blue)
    3. My Holderreads babies, now 1 month old this week, all will come peeeping to me when I walk across the yard, I can pick them up, hand feed them, they like to snuggle, none run unless I move very quick and they arent looking my way but as soon as I say something they settle. (white and emery penciled)

4. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I only had 3 and each was a different color, so none of the same to compare to.
    Blue (not so blue) was the biggest by almost half a pound
    Ally (f/w) is the smallest
    Cadbury (chocolate) is a wee bit more than Ally

Blue was the friendliest and would let you pet her.
    Cadbury was and still is the most skittish of them, but she'll get close with no issues, just don't try to pick her up or touch her lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by