Pesky feral cats

I know your aunt is being kind, but maybe she does need to stop feeding the cats. If there is no food to attract them, I would think that eventually they'd move on.

Quote:
There are several pellet guns on the market that will EASILY kill a cat with a well placed shot between the eyes. If the cats already in a trap its an easy shot.

I use the Hava-heart live trap. I use mostly just dry catfood- catches Coons, Possums, Cats, and the stupid guineas. I have tried different baits such as eggs, sardines, kitchen scraps, etc.

Quote:
There are several pellet guns on the market that will EASILY kill a cat with a well placed shot between the eyes. If the cats already in a trap its an easy shot.

That's what I tell people. If you are feeding it, you made it your cat and your responsibility.

My mother (my aunt's sis) will call the Animal Control and get the problem remedied. Yes I agree she really needs to stop feeding them but she said it is too cruel to have them starve.
barnie.gif
Yep, she feeds them, its her responsibility. I know it would cause problems but it is much kindier and gentler not having these cats dying left and right, damaging property and neighbors are complaining lately. I know my aunt will be on the list to done by the animal control.

My sis and two other friends have adopted the kittens from her lot.....they were all put down before they were five years old due to the diseases they were transmitted or suffered effects from contengial genetic defects that did not show up later, FIV, particularly was very damaging. My sis had to put her cat down this year simply due to the FIV, her kidneys were failing, teeth falling off, expensive vet treatments and meds. My aunt even had the adacity to offer them a new kitten whenever her queens were expecting a litter soon. All of them said no and the cats were too expensive but they didnt have the heart to tell her that they were put down due to health issues.

As for FIV, she still has those two queens, producing three litters a year, all of them tested positive for FIV...what makes those queens stay alive?? Don't they die eventually of the disease?

I am very lucky in my neighborhood, feral cats are farther and fewer, we have more dogs in our backyards (I do not have a dog) and any barking from them would set the cat on his merry way. Even my hubby, at the sightest sound would "bark like a terrier" when he sees a cat coming up our house.
gig.gif
It is so funny to see the male cat go flying two blocks down the street!

Quote:
Around here, we have a group that has a catch and release program for feral cats. The cats are caught, fixed....any kittens young enough to tame are caught and sent to foster homes. We trap hundreds each year. It is a private group...totally by volunteers and donations... nothing government (state, county, or city - nadda). If they have been trapped once it is near impossible to trap a second time, is my experience at least. Talking to your vet for a sedative might be a good idea. If you are interested in keeping a few around, get them spayed/neutered....it will keep rodent population down. Also, if you eliminate the entire feral community....a new community of ferals will move in in a very short period of time. If you retain a few of the ferals....they will maintain their own community and not let others in. Get them spayed/neutered though...otherwise it will just get worse.

If you actually put together a feeding station for the few that you retain, I bet they would stay away from your hens (I would still be careful though), and they will still keep down the rodent population.

There are some web sites on taking care of feral colonies....you may want to go and read up on them.

Good luck.

Oh, and BTW, the right pellet gun is strong enough to kill a cat....but make sure it is a kill shot and you don't just injure it...just creates yet another problem. You are right that they can be unhealthy and all the diseases you listed are very valid. Our group has to deal with these all the times.

Quote:
www.alleycat.org was the web site I was thinking of....it will give you lots of good information and help. And yes, if you try to erradicate them all....others come in to replace the colony. Try to get "your" colony to a manageable size...spay/neuter....and put up a feed station....they should stay away from your birds. Also, if spayed/neutered...less fighting...less spraying.

Quote:
Nope, they won't move on. I work with a local group trying to take care of our local feral cat problem. Trap..spay/neuter...feed station....this is the best way to maintain and the community will slowly depopulate and the problems will start to decrease too.

After about 3 years I got rid of all the feral cats off my place.

NOT one has moved back in to take the dead ones places. In fact, there hasn't been a cat spotted here for over a year now. So, I don't buy the argument that if I kill them all new ones will move in to take their place. Hasn't happened. The song birds are thriving, I haven't lost a single chicken to another cat in almost 2 years, and the baby bunnies are generally safe now. The ferals had killed most of the song birds, 30 of my chickens, and most of the rabbits. (wild rabbits)

Back
Top Bottom