Pestene not working

mellissa

Songster
7 Years
Feb 10, 2015
I can’t beat the poultry lice. I have been cleaning coops replacing bedding spraying with surface spray, dusting weekly with pestene, have also tried ag lime raked around pen and coop. Have now got rid of wild pigeons entering pen coop area though chooks free range during the day. All I seem to be doing is wasting time and money. Any advice to eradicate poultry lice that’s worked in sub tropical environments would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Wild birds in your coop are the issue with reinfestation; I've got the same problem here, with house sparrows in my coop. Permethrin spray works great, but managing those rotten freeloading wild birds is the problem. Open season on pigeons? Plastic strips over the pop doors to the coop? Trap and shoot?
If you find a solution, let me know!
Mary

Wild birds in your coop are the issue with reinfestation; I've got the same problem here, with house sparrows in my coop. Permethrin spray works great, but managing those rotten freeloading wild birds is the problem. Open season on pigeons? Plastic strips over the pop doors to the coop? Trap and shoot?
If you find a solution, let me know!
Mary
I’ve got rid of wild birds by putting up massive shade sail which flaps around in wind. Though my chickens free range over several acres. I gave pestene a rest for couple of weeks as chooks have buildup of dust on skin but now I’m seeing large scabs under wings very poor to no egg production and what I think is anaemia in older hens which are only 1-3 years old. They have all been treated with ivermectin so obviously not blood sucker. Anyone know what I’m dealing with. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom