Small But Stubborn Lice Issue

Chirping
Sep 2, 2021
So I have been treating my family's two flocks for poultry lice for three weeks now. It started as a situation where some of the hens had pale combs, some had lice visibly scurrying around, and most had eggs present around the vent. The next week, eggs were about the same but the combs were healthier and I couldn't find any actual lice, just egg buildup. The last time I treated them (Saturday and Sunday) all their combs were vibrant and healthy and very few of them had eggs, most of which were in smaller buildups. But just yesterday and today I checked a couple and some very small egg/nit clusters were found. I though two or three treatments would be enough, but I guess I was wrong. I'm not worried about their health as the problem is getting better, but I am posting this to see if I could improve my methods. Please judge both my new treatment plans and old method to see what I can do better to beat this issue quicker.

My current plan is to do one coop in the morning and keep the other locked up until I get to do them as well, to prevent one flock from reinfecting the other. Neither will be able to go back into their coop until I clean them out after treating them. Feeders and waterers will be moved outside. I will rub permethrin dust around their vent area and under each wing, as I have been told these are the lice hotspots. Both coops will be cleaned and dusted, with the old bedding burned.

My old plan did the smaller flock in the evening/night. Before they go to roost I would clean out their coop. I then take them out one by one when they are in for the night before letting them all back in (this made it easier to handle them). I believe this has been my most major mistake, as the brief time they spend in the coop could have allowed the fresh bedding to be infected with lice. The the next day I do the larger coop in the morning before letting them out and cleaning their coop. The flocks are separated into different coops, so I doubt the larger flock is able to infect the smaller flock during this period.

I have only dealt with lice once before with a single, smaller flock. Therefore I haven't experienced such a demanding lice issue. I am not sure what I have done right and wrong. I may have done everything right, and the issue is just taking longer than normal. While they have constant access to dust-bathing, they are free-range most of the day and therefore could encounter infected wild birds, making the recovery longer. The main details I think may be errors would be:
  • Allowing a flock to enter their cleaned coop for a few minutes while working on them.
  • Not dusting the coop each time I cleaned it (I have heard you need to wait 30 days between dustings).
  • Only targeting the vent and under the wings, rather than a full body.
If those or any other error is apparent, again please inform me. Sorry if a thread could have solved my issue, I couldn't find one.
Also, I would like that Elector PSP stuff but it is too expensive, and therefore not an option. I am pretty much stuck with permethrin dust.

I would try using a different treatment on the chickens and the coop. In my experience permethrin can miss some of the mites/lice, allowing them to repopulate. It sounds like your chickens have mites (mites suck blood, causing pale combs), which are treatable with something like ivermectin.

Are you positive they have lice and not mites?
Roost mites are much harder to get rid of as they do live in the structure much more than poultry mites or lice(both of which mostly stay on the birds bodies).

My Bug Check Blurb:
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

I've actually done a couple of night checks for red mites, came up with nothing. The only parasites I've seen have been the lice, and I was even able to get a closeup examination by isolating a few. I also examine each bird I work on by parting the feathers. However, I will be extra careful to check for mites and different parasites like you guys suggested. Unfortunately I might have to delay the next treatment a few days because some predators were seen near or where the chickens spend time outside. Namely, a cat and what may have been a predatory bird. So I'm considering keeping them inside their coops and runs for a few days. Plus the weather has been rainy, which also means predators will be more awake and cleaning would prevent the chickens from staying dry.
As a side question, is there an alternative to ivermectin? I've heard it can kill if the dosage is off, so I'm nervous about giving it to my 15 chickens combined.
Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I've actually done a couple of night checks for red mites, came up with nothing. The only parasites I've seen have been the lice, and I was even able to get a closeup examination by isolating a few.
For lice I would continue with the permethrin dust every 5-7 days,
around vent and neck, under wings and belly.
I've read about coating lice eggs clusters with coconut oil to suffocate them and keep them from hatching.

I've actually done a couple of night checks for red mites, came up with nothing. The only parasites I've seen have been the lice, and I was even able to get a closeup examination by isolating a few. I also examine each bird I work on by parting the feathers. However, I will be extra careful to check for mites and different parasites like you guys suggested. Unfortunately I might have to delay the next treatment a few days because some predators were seen near or where the chickens spend time outside. Namely, a cat and what may have been a predatory bird. So I'm considering keeping them inside their coops and runs for a few days. Plus the weather has been rainy, which also means predators will be more awake and cleaning would prevent the chickens from staying dry.
As a side question, is there an alternative to ivermectin? I've heard it can kill if the dosage is off, so I'm nervous about giving it to my 15 chickens combined.
Thanks for all the input, everyone.
I’ve used ivermectin on my pigeons, only to later read that even a single drop is an overdose based on their body weight. However, they were completely fine. Keep in mind that I put drops on the skin on back of their necks, it may be more dangerous if given orally.

For lice I would continue with the permethrin dust every 5-7 days,
around vent and neck, under wings and belly.
I've read about coating lice eggs clusters with coconut oil to suffocate them and keep them from hatching.
Sounds like that's worth a try. I've used coconut oil for scaly leg mites before.

Some bad news: found a roundworm in a dropping. One of my flocks have had foamy poops for a while I initially attributed to extra water consumption from the Summer heat. It's possible that the worms were the ones causing the pale combs. I've heard apple cider vinegar can repel roundworms when added to drinking water, but I have my doubts. Could I use apple cider vinegar or should I buy some dewormer instead?

Back
Top Bottom