Pet/brush wether breed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PureFluff, Jan 25, 2013.

1. PureFluff

PureFluff Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Otis, ORE
    Dwarf Nigerians were my go to originally but man Nubians are really cute, and there are some minis available around here. Granted, the minis are only 3rd generation or less so I expect their not too small. Size isn't really an issue unless they'll be hard to handle/more stubborn if they think they can be pushy die to size.

All I can find in comparing the two is milking and meat and such descriptions which since I'm getting wethers for pet and brush purposes I don't really need that info. I'm more concerned with docility and personality.

Opinions?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  2. Skipspin

Skipspin Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2012
    Florida
    I think a lot of it will depend on how they are/will be raised. Nubians have a reputation for being more vocal than other dairy breeds, but it;s not always the case. We have a dam-raised Boar/Nubian cross wether and he's really sweet, much more laid back than our Lamancha or Nigerian Dwarf does. He can be a bit of a cry baby, but only when something isn't "normal." Now granted, he's big (and 12 months, so will be bigger), but I can hold his collar and lead him just fine. My daughter does as well and he outweighs her by around 20# or more. My little boys can walk him too unless he's super-motivated to go get something, which isn't often.

Fencing might need to be a bit taller for a larger breed, so that's something to consider. Wether's don't need to eat much grain/feed, if any, once they are mostly grown, so size isn't going to really cost you much more after the first year.

I'd probably get the breed I liked as long as the negatives aren't too huge.

3. jdyson

jdyson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    I have 2 mini silky fainters and 1 nigerian and they are super cool and laid back. They are wethers and they love to be brushed and loved on. One has long hair so I have to brush him more often than the other two, lol. I hope that little bit of personal info helps. :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, when goat folks say nubians are "vocal", they don't tell you that really means it's going to sound like a small injured child screaming in your pasture for hours at a time! I'm tolerant of vocal and like most of my animal's noises, but the nubians about did me in! I only have experience with Boers besides that, they're much quieter.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by