Pet chicken really sick!! Losing ALOT of weight in very few weeks and not active!

SophieLemsing

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
My pet chicken, Ruby, has lost SO much wieght in the last 3 weeks. She use to be really really heavy , now she is lighter than my runt of the flock who is only 10 months old. Ruby is 14-15 months old. She hasn't been active much at all, just plotting around slowly and always is slow to come when called. She is eating normally and not getting picked on. She doesn't have any visible mites or lice. I don't know what to do!?!? She is my baby! Please help and tell me all you know!she really isn't well!

Last edited:
I had a chicken who had these symptoms plus a few others. After a vet visit we found out she had an infection brought on by a parasite. The parasite caused the weight loss and the infection caused the chicken to be lathargic. If you can, take her to a vet, they will give you the proper medication. If you can't get to a vet, try and get your hands on some Amoxicillin. This is a mid spectrum antibiotic. Look up proper doses for her, but a trip to the vet is your best option incase it is a parasite or somthing more serious.
Hope she gets better!

Yeah I have. I still don't know what to do. I don't have the money to take her to the vet and I won't unless its an emergency. Is there anything I can do?

Yeah I have. I still don't know what to do. I don't have the money to take her to the vet and I won't unless its an emergency. Is there anything I can do?
What wormer did you use? And what dosage of that wormer? Worms are almost certainly the problem with your hen. Remember, though, that even after worming, it will take a while for your hen to regain her weight and strength. You can help her out getting her to eat lots of nutritious foods, including scrambled/hard boiled eggs, some wet cat food, moistened layer feed (most chickens love this), applesauce, and, if possible, probiotics and vitamins/electrolytes in her water. Minimize her stress level and keep her warm and clean.

Thankyou all! We just kept an eye on her and gave her lots of soft foods and after about 10 days, she was back to normal and is gaining weight! Thankyou xoxo

Thankyou all! We just kept an eye on her and gave her lots of soft foods and after about 10 days, she was back to normal and is gaining weight! Thankyou xoxo
Good news!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom