Pet crate size

Lor

Crowing
Mar 23, 2022
South East USA
What size do you recommend/use for a chicken?
I want to get a couple of wire pet crates to have on hand for emergency/and or break a broody hen.
I have those plastic pet carriers but it's hot here and feel the wire ones would be best. The puppy pens and another pen we have are kind of big to use easily. With yard sale season starting soon I thought I'd look around. ;)
1687956395596.png

I've found the foldable 24"L x 18"W x 21"H to be good.
2 doors are very handy.
Add 1x2" wire to the bottom, tight so it will still fold.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/foldable-wire-dog-crates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/
Thank you! I was wondering if that was too small. I think I'll measure the rabbit cage in the shed and get some of that 1x2 wire for the bottom of it. I'm pretty sure it just has the wire topper that sits in a plastic base, Will be on the look out for good deals on the 24x18x21 ones.

You don't want a plastic base, especially for broody breaking.
Understood. I hope I can find that cage wire.
I bought that rabbit cage for only a few dollars to use to keep my bearded dragon safe while outside getting some sun. LOL I only used the top wire part.

Size you need depends what you're doing in the cage, how large your feeder and waterer will be, and how many chickens will be in it at one time. Really depends on your management methods. I prefer the ones with two doors. If they have far-spaced wire on the bottom, I set them right on the deep bedding with a few inches of bedding over the wire. Or you can add carboard over the wire bottom for a temporary isolation cage situation, or (for a broody breaker) turn them upside down, and put the plastic tray on top for a lid. That way the wire on the bottom (former top) is close enough to walk on, and I can set it up on some wood in my run to get air under the bottom.

Don't think that rabbit cage is tall enough. My husband put it in the loft of the shed and it isn't worth lugging a ladder over to get it down. LOL

Size you need depends what you're doing in the cage, how large your feeder and waterer will be, and how many chickens will be in it at one time. Really depends on your management methods. I prefer the ones with two doors. If they have far-spaced wire on the bottom, I set them right on the deep bedding with a few inches of bedding over the wire. Or you can add carboard over the wire bottom for a temporary isolation cage situation, or (for a broody breaker) turn them upside down, and put the plastic tray on top for a lid. That way the wire on the bottom (former top) is close enough to walk on, and I can set it up on some wood in my run to get air under the bottom.
I have some large enough for multiple chickens. Was looking for the right size for one hen.
2 doors sounds like the way to go. Using the tray as a top is smart too.

I prefer to add the wire on the bottom and use the tray under the crate to catch poops during 'hospital' stays.
If you do use the tray as a 'lid' make sure you secure it so it doesn't get knocked off.

Do you know about the wire gauge?
Is the larger the number the stronger the gauge or the opposite? LOL
I'm not very good at this.
I see the cage wire 1x2 comes in 16 gauge and 14 gauge.

Back
Top Bottom