pet duck question

duckgirl130

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2022
I have a pekin duck, hes super sweet to me, but as hes gotten older, it seems like hes been distant to me. he doesnt like when i pet his wings. is that regular? also sometimes itll be quiet, ill be with him and he does one singular LOUD quack that startles me haha. but im not quite sure what it means ?

As well as getting lonely, ducks often don't like their wings being petted. They prefer petting underneath their bodies, infront of their chest, under their bills and sometimes at the bottom of their necks at their shoulders. They can interpret petting on their backs and wings as domination behavior and drakes do not like to be dominated

yes he is my only duck, i plan on getting another duckling soon but not sure how that will work out ?
Get two more so that you don't have another lonely duck situation if one of your ducks passes. You will not be able to introduce the new ducklings until they are juvenile -- although I gather from comments above that your duck is actually female. A female duck may accept new ducks more easily than a drake would. Certainly , I wouldn't introduce new ducklings before 8 weeks old and then only supervised and cautiously.

Get two more so that you don't have another lonely duck situation if one of your ducks passes. You will not be able to introduce the new ducklings until they are juvenile -- although I gather from comments above that your duck is actually female. A female duck may accept new ducks more easily than a drake would. Certainly , I wouldn't introduce new ducklings before 8 weeks old and then only supervised and cautiously.
thank u !!! do u know if i would have to get the same breed ? do call ducks get along with pekins ??

Back
Top Bottom