Pet House Duck

iloveducks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 1, 2011
I have a pet duck and he lives in the house and wears diapers. I was wondering if anyone else does. He has started the mating ritual thing and it is really funny. I keep telling him that I'm his mom not his girlfriend! Bless his little heart though. He just doesn't understand.

wow thats so funny, i found out my female duck is also starting the mating ritual and she keeps flattening out around my boyfriend!! maybe they can sense when someone is of the opposite sex? lol i'm not sure. he's her dad too! he helped me raise her. but she doesnt wear diapers. we keep her inside while we're home and awake. i would imagine the diapers would dirty up their feathers?. does he sound and look kindof like he's sneezing? because a duck at the park keeps doing that when i take her out lol. thats so cute though! maybe you should get him a little girlfriend. thats what i plan to do for mine. what kind of duck is he btw?
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
We have a muscovy duckling 2 months old and is a house duck, she was hatched here but mama rejected her so we have been raising her inside. She does go out with the other ducks, chickens and goose, but can come in when she wants to via doggie door. Still not sure if it's male or female though, but really hoping female since we have 2 drakes already, but either way we are in love..
love.gif

The diapers are actually great. I bought a few harnesses from indoorducks.com. They are leakproof and made very nicely, but I couldn't afford to buy very many. So, I sat down and through several trial and errors I finally reach the perfet fit for Biscuit ( he's a boy). I bought several pieces of fabric and also cut up several old cloths around the house and now he has over 30 different ones. You put half of a baby diaper inside the harness and all the mess stays inside. I made the pouch very roomy so that it doesn't get his feathers messy. I change him every few hours. He gets relly excited when I show him a new one that I've made and when I put it on him he runs to my boyfriend to show him and "Tells him all about it". He also prances around and thinks he is really it!

diapers are a must!! I bought 4 diaper harnesses so she would have for each growing stage. I measured her mama for the last one, but if it turns out to be a boy, well I'll have to order another
hmm.png
during the daytime, I just clean up after her, I have paper towels and spray oxine in just about every room.
smile.png
she only wears the harness and diaper in the evening.

I have a Pekin named Zoe. She stays in the basement most of the time. when my husband & I are home we put her duck harness (from indoorducks.com) on and she comes upstairs with us. Since we have started doing this more often lately I think she is lonely downstairs. I would love to keep her upstairs all the time but I haven't mastered changing the diaper yet so we only have her come up for a couple of hours then take her back downstairs. She always starts quacking when she hears us talking. She is funny around my husband. I think she does a mating dance around him too now that I think about it. She has a deep throaty quack that is different and bobbs her head up and down when she sees him. She also nibbles at our feet and ankles. It kind of tickles! She loves peas, lettuce, tomatoes, bugs, and dried mealworms. I make her a duck salad daily and she loves it!

I keep her in medium size dog crate lined with puppy pads. I have to change her cage often (which is alot of work and money to buy the pads) I would love to block of a part of the basement so she has more room and isn't stuck in a pen all day long. I'm working on ideas of how to do this.

I just found this forum and love all the great ideas and meeting other people who have ducks as pets. I love Zoe as if she were my child...well I guess she is since I don't have children yet!

Quote:
that is so cute!!! do you have any pictures? ive seen some ducky diapers made from maxi-pads, but using actual baby diapers sounds like it would work better. my girl loves to be inside with the family but its like having a puppy that isnt potty trained.... but if the ducks dont get dirty fro them and they dont mind wearing them i'll give it a try too

Quote:
so i'm not crazy! or maybe we're both crazy for having ducky daughters lol.
hugs.gif

i think she would be so much happier to be up with the rest of her flock!! (meaning you and your husband lol)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom