pet quail

Quote:
YES IT IS A DISTAL AMPUTATION OF THE WING--- JUST PAST THE LAST JOINT (AS CLOSE TO IT AS POSSIBLE BUT NOT THRU IT) AND PINION ONLY 1 WING.

KattyKillFish wrote:
JJMR794 wrote:

are japanese quail cotornix quail or are they different breeds?[/b]
SAME THING

Sorry KattKillFish, JJMR794 Jap Quail/Coturnix are not Buttons. Buttons are also called King Quail. See below photo of mine. Jap and Coturnix are the same.
I have kept both species. I prefer Buttons/Kings way over Japs/Coturnix. As pets Buttons are smaller, take up less space, are very friendly and in general I can keep them in the aviary with my canaries.
When I had Coturnix they would attack each other and the canaries. Also Buttons will usually raise their own young, where Coturnix will not.
I did do my research on both and talked to different breeders.
I guess its what you prefer.
It's all in the eye of the beholder.

45659_img_0422.jpg

Haven't been able to snap the male, he is too quick and camera shy. He has the usual black/white face pattern, with blue on the sides and chestnut red on his stomach.

Quote:
.... COTURNIX OR WHAT THE WORLD REFERS TO AS COTURNIX / PHAROAH QUAIL/ ASIATIC MIGRATORY QUAIL ARE COTURNIX JAPONICA---- OR JAPANESE QUAIL. NOW BUTTONS OR WHAT THE WORLD REFERS TO AS KING QUAIL/ BUTTON QUAIL/ ASIATIC PAINTED QUAIL/ AND ABOUT 50 OTHER NAMES ARE COTURNIX CHINESES=== CHINESE PAINTED QUAIL. WHICH IS WHAT CANTER AND I BOTH SAID.
smile.png

ANYONE WANNA CARRY THIS OVER TO NEW WORLD QUAIL? LOL

Last edited:
Quote:
WOULD YOU PREFER QUARTERS? LOL..........

(DANG-IT! THERE GOES THAT LIL EVIL STREAK AGAIN! THOUGHT I HAD IT LOCKED UP....
smile.png
)

100 dollar bills please

Quote:
WOULD YOU PREFER QUARTERS? LOL..........

(DANG-IT! THERE GOES THAT LIL EVIL STREAK AGAIN! THOUGHT I HAD IT LOCKED UP....
smile.png
)

100 dollar bills please

HONEY YOU'RE TOO FAR AWAY WITH WAY TO MUCH ON FOR THAT..... AND EVEN THEN 100's? I DUNNO..... I WORK FOR A LIVING--- SINGLE DAD AND ALL.... TIGHT BUDGET! LOL---- JUST KIDDIN' Y'ALL

ANYONE WANNA CARRY THIS OVER TO NEW WORLD QUAIL? LOL

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up old world vs new world quail
big_smile.png

Do we need to start the mule discussion again?
gig.gif

Anyway....

Hi peter!!

One thing about having ducks is you are already trained on cleaning up messes!
lol.png

At least quail messes aren't wet messes! Anyway, I think for starters, coturnix will be your best bet. I am really liking my 4. Easy to handle, beautiful singing and great egg production. I have my quad inside in a cage for now. Come spring they will go outside, but I could see keeping quail in the house if you wanted...and don't mind sweeping up spilled feed
gig.gif

Quote:
IF PINIONED CORRECTLY THEY WONT FLY VERY FAR, OR VERY WELL....

COTURNIX ARE DEFINATELY THE MOST EASY TO HANDLE AND LEAST SPASTIC OF ALL.

permit me to disagree. i had a few pet coturnix (rest in peace batman, shirly, dilly, dally, fidget, crash and bob. let it be known that the dogs that killed all of you are shot dead and thrown off the bluff)

dilly flew right up out of the cage and waaaay out of the neighborhood. he came back a few days later thirsty and nervous. i guess he got lonely and his buddies called him back
big_smile.png
he got both wings clipped.

batman was by far the most tame out of them all. he would walk right up to me and wait to be picked up. coturnix make great pets and lay cute little tasty eggs.

!!!

Back
Top Bottom