Pet Sitting Service. UPDATE LOCATIONS listed in post #1

Quote:
Because the potential client is a stranger. My home is my home and I don't want strangers knowing where I live. I carry insurance to protect the client from me. Professional references (clients, vets, etc.) should be plenty. I have photos of my own pets on my web-site.

I have never been asked to see my own home or pets.

I also think in your situation, you need a "farm sitter" rather than a "pet sitter". Most pet sitters have no experience with farm animals and wouldn't be comfortable taking care of them.

You are exactly right. I need a "farm sitter" rather than a "pet sitter". Thank you!

That's a great point, find a 'farm hand' who has time to come help you part time, then you can call the farm the actually have worked on and ask what they think of them for a simple 'pet sitting' situation (so it doesn't sound like they are moonlighting) and they'll probably fill you in on their daily chores for them and how well they do.

Quote:
I totally get it- You don't go visit your grade school kid's teacher's house to see how she disciplines her kids. You don't go to your baker's house to see how they store their flour. Seeing a picture of a person's cat on a couch doesn't prove they are an ethical caretaker. You have to take some things on faith and perception. You'll be able, upon meeting, to tell whether a person thinks animals should be kept in a cell or treated like humans or where in-between they stand.

I also build websites and do computer and network repair and installation. I won't let someone come to my house to look at the condition of my pc set-up, either. It's not relevant, and it's personal, which means it's not business.

Red flags should go up if a person DOES let you come over, because that means they haven't got a proper boundary between business and personal life, and they may expect a different relationship with you than a client should. They may start showing up to visit your pets after they're done serving your agreement. Likewise, if a client came to my home, I would be afraid the client/consultant relationship would be warped and they may show up whenever they felt like it. i.e. kids never visit a teacher's home.

Common sense tell me of course, I don't visit a school kid's teacher's house because the School Board has already checked references and completed a back ground check. I don't visit a baker's house because I have already asked about her services via references and references can vouch that she is a good baker. When I had a dog and had to place her in a kennel, all of the kennels that I called allowed me to check their facility for cleanliness and other things with no problems. That is how I chose a kennel and was VERY satisfied with them. I also chose my vet the same way. I think that I am a little too picky and perhaps care for the safety and health of my animals a little too much.

I don't think a pet sitter can handle what I need them to. This is way above their "pay grade". What was I thinking.

You know, the funny thing is, I don't blame you a bit...I'm a pet sitter around the holidays and vacation times because I never go anywhere...I wouldn't trust anyone to care for my zoo. When I care for other people's birds, I practically wear a hazmat suit and come home, undress in the garage, oxine the crud out of myself and go up the stairs to the shower with bags on my feet...

My clothes go right into the washer with my shoes, and the hand that carried them gets held out for hubby to oxine as soon as I let go of them. I use the sanitary cycle on my washer and wear clothes I can use a little bleach on...I'm just a *tad* paranoid...and really wish I could clone myself to take care of them so I could go somewhere!

Last edited:
Quote:
Common sense tell me of course, I don't visit a school kid's teacher's house because the School Board has already checked references and completed a back ground check. I don't visit a baker's house because I have already asked about her services via references and references can vouch that she is a good baker. When I had a dog and had to place her in a kennel, all of the kennels that I called allowed me to check their facility for cleanliness and other things with no problems. That is how I chose a kennel and was VERY satisfied with them. I also chose my vet the same way. I think that I am a little too picky and perhaps care for the safety and health of my animals a little too much.

I don't think a pet sitter can handle what I need them to. This is way above their "pay grade". What was I thinking.

You know, the funny thing is, I don't blame you a bit...I'm a pet sitter around the holidays and vacation times because I never go anywhere...I wouldn't trust anyone to care for my zoo. When I care for other people's birds, I practically wear a hazmat suit and come home, undress in the garage, oxine the crud out of myself and go up the stairs to the shower with bags on my feet...

My clothes go right into the washer with my shoes, and the hand that carried them gets held out for hubby to oxine as soon as I let go of them. I use the sanitary cycle on my washer and wear clothes I can use a little bleach on...I'm just a *tad* paranoid...and really wish I could clone myself to take care of them so I could go somewhere!

I totally agree with what you do. I like your style. I would do the same thing. I wish that you were here, so I could hire you.
gig.gif

You have passed the test already and I haven't even met you.

PS. You need a vacation!!! GO somewhere !!!
gig.gif

What I think we should do here is exchange each others' information and the we could "vacation" at someone else's home! I too have quite the zoo here and for that reason I dont go anywhere! I have taken a few small weekend trips but it seems that every time I go away something gets hurt or dies! "They eye of the Master fatteneth the flock." Isnt that the quote? It means to me that you have to "know" what you are looking after and not just throw food and water at it!
If we got some like minded folks together we could all have a needed vacation...so--anybody like the cold? Like to break frozen water out of buckets? Deal with frozen hoses...OK then have i got a deal for you...LOL!

This is a very serious issue for those of us that have many different types of animals...I wish there was an easy answer like just calling a "pet sitter." There isnt! Terri O

Quote:
What an incredible idea!! There are websites where people can trade homes to visit another country and avoid the hotel expenses. It could be something like that- but I'd still never get to participate.

I have a rooster that has to be tube-fed 2c. of baby parrot food 2x daily. He hasn't a lower beak due to a vet accident, and he's the most beloved of all of our pets, including the dogs and cats. Good luck explaining THAT to the in-laws as the reason you can't come to Christmas.

He's now 2, and I'm saddened to say that he aspirated some of his food about a week ago and still is having some brochitis-like sounds. It breaks my heart, but at the same time, he's had a great life. Is it terrible to admit I'd be relieved?

Back to topic...

It would be glorious to have a trade agreement for just getting away from the same old scenery- someone else's farm would have that NEW FLOCK smell! It would be a joy to do that for a few days!

Quote:
Okay... if this was me... new to the game... but hoping for some clients to give me a shot....

No, I don't mind at all. Being a stay at home mom has been great, but we've found that a little extra money is nice. So, based on my experience with my own animals I decided to see if my skills could be useful to others. It's just me, and I'm just starting, so I'm not involved with BBB as yet. I am not bonded. As I said, just an idea that my skills might be useful for someone else. I can and do pass a background check every year as a volunteer with my children's school district, and for some years extra ones run by the BSA and YMCA. I am not affiliated with any pet-sitting groups, but am a member of more than one Pet Owner group. I've found them invaluable for the guidance, support, and community they offer. List... eg BYC... etc. I do not have a business resume at this point, but my three dogs and four chickens... etc. are all happy and healthy. I will ask my vet for a reference if you would like. You can see pictures of my furry and feathered friends by visiting List... eg BYC and include screen name... photobucket... etc. If you would like further information after that then we can see about setting up a visit. Likewise before agreeing to provide you services I'd like to visit your home so you can walk me through the tasks you need completed. This will help make sure I know what you want, but also so that your animals aren't disturbed when a stranger shows up. By day or by hour depends on the care needed. If you have one dog that needs to be fed, watered, and let out in the morning and then again in the evening then I don't see any point in charging you for a full day of services. But if you have many animals, that will take a large portion of my day, then possible the per day would be the better choice for both of us.

I hope that answered your questions. If you have others, please feel free to ask. I look forward to hearing from you.

--------------------------------------------

Or something to that effect... just flat out ignoring is WAY worse in my book than answering honestly and letting the person decide if they'd like to further converse. *shrug*

Note: I'm not pet-sitting, not planning to... that was totally hypothetical off the top of my head...

Quote:
O' hail the queen. You are my hero. Your words are music to my ears. I could not have said it better. You are sooooo right. WOW!!! You hit the nail on the head. I'm glad that we all get it and we really do. Although all of use have different opinions, in the end, we really do get it. It all boils down to the care of our animals and we really do love our animals.

Maybe we can network right here on BYC and get a list going of possible pet sitters, farm sitters and loving and caring BYC members that "get it" and can help out a fellow BYC'er when we go on vacation.

LOL @ have I got a deal for you and those frozen buckets. I feel your pain.

Some pet sitters do farm sitting. You just have to check around. Probably more common in rural areas. Personally I would feel comfortable with most animals kept as pets and farm animals except horses. I just don't know enough about them and they can have problems that turn bad so quickly.

I understand being unsure about hiring someone. I do pet sitting, but have not hired one myself. It wasn't possible when my aggressive dog was still alive. The reason I started doing it in the first place - to help others with hard to care for pets.

I am now starting to look for someone to sit for my animals. I've interviewed one company. At the time I just needed someone to check on the birds and close the coops on nights I had to work and DH wasn't going to be home. I wasn't confident simply because it's so different from looking after house pets.

I haven't left overnight for over 10 years.

Quote:
Okay... if this was me... new to the game... but hoping for some clients to give me a shot....

No, I don't mind at all. Being a stay at home mom has been great, but we've found that a little extra money is nice. So, based on my experience with my own animals I decided to see if my skills could be useful to others. It's just me, and I'm just starting, so I'm not involved with BBB as yet. I am not bonded. As I said, just an idea that my skills might be useful for someone else. I can and do pass a background check every year as a volunteer with my children's school district, and for some years extra ones run by the BSA and YMCA. I am not affiliated with any pet-sitting groups, but am a member of more than one Pet Owner group. I've found them invaluable for the guidance, support, and community they offer. List... eg BYC... etc. I do not have a business resume at this point, but my three dogs and four chickens... etc. are all happy and healthy. I will ask my vet for a reference if you would like. You can see pictures of my furry and feathered friends by visiting List... eg BYC and include screen name... photobucket... etc. If you would like further information after that then we can see about setting up a visit. Likewise before agreeing to provide you services I'd like to visit your home so you can walk me through the tasks you need completed. This will help make sure I know what you want, but also so that your animals aren't disturbed when a stranger shows up. By day or by hour depends on the care needed. If you have one dog that needs to be fed, watered, and let out in the morning and then again in the evening then I don't see any point in charging you for a full day of services. But if you have many animals, that will take a large portion of my day, then possible the per day would be the better choice for both of us.

I hope that answered your questions. If you have others, please feel free to ask. I look forward to hearing from you.

--------------------------------------------

Or something to that effect... just flat out ignoring is WAY worse in my book than answering honestly and letting the person decide if they'd like to further converse. *shrug*

Note: I'm not pet-sitting, not planning to... that was totally hypothetical off the top of my head...

You're hired. When can you start!

I loved your responses.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom