Pet Sitting Service. UPDATE LOCATIONS listed in post #1

lau.gif
Figures.

I swear, minute we started HSing... literally... that's when my old job needed me to fill in... not the week before, when we were doing nothing... nope, had to be the first two days... it's Murphy's Law in action... when you are desperate for work, you can't find it... when you don't have a sitter... the call finally comes.
tongue.png

After having been a petsitter off and on for over 20 years, I'd like to offer a different view, in hopes that it will help to see both sides. (I generally work the holidays only now. Used to be full-time.)

My clients have to give ME references.

I want to know how many people have keys to your house, how many have you told to "check on me"? Nothing like entering a house at night and finding a total stranger who happens to be with the Spanish Inquisition.

Are you really telling me what I NEED to know, like "oh yeah, he does dig out sometimes...."? Or the rooster can't free range? The horse bites and cribs? The dogs are a bit "protective" of their yard?

Christmas is always good- oh, we didn't know the cats were going to climb the Christmas tree and knock it over....they swore the cats wouldn't! I got to clean up, instead of spending Christmas with family.

How about the ones who don't want to give out the alarm code, say they'll leave it off - I have them sign a disclaimer on that Then you go for the first visit and "oh, silly me I forgot to leave it unarmed" - meanwhile, I am in police custody.

There was one when I made the initial visit, inspected the premises, got the dog care in writing and then began services on the specified day. The couple neglected to tell me that they had replaced a broken window since I'd been there and left the broken glass in the yard. The "our baby" Boxer got cut horribly. I loaded him into my car, took him to the Emergency Clinic and I paid the initial fees. Returned to their house, spent the day cleaning up the mess, left them a phone message, which never got returned. Also left a note at the house. Called the vet constantly, to check on the poor Boxer. Tried, without success, to clean the blood from my car.
Result? They got home and found the note. Never returned any of my calls. Went to the vet clinic and pitched a fit, then called me and pitched a bigger one. I was very upset, I felt I had done the best I could do, given the circumstances.

The vet was the one who straightened it out. He finally said "Look, it she hadn't acted fast after YOUR screwup, you precious pup would be dead. You should be grateful she went out with your dog and got him here asap. Now, pay her and pay me."

To the OP: References are your best bet. Get someone who is familiar with farm life, but don't judge by bonding and insurance. Trust your gut. Dang near anyone can get bonded, but references are golden.

It's a 2 way street with petsitting. I have had some real nightmare clients, but most have been wonderful. Write down everything related to each animal's care. Let them know the rules of the house, in writing. If something like an accident happens to your petsitter, the backup will need the info.

I've seen some really sloppy petsitters, don't put up with that. If they don't wipe their feet before entering your house, don't let them in.

Along the same lines, don't expect them to be Dr. Doolittle. Tell them what they need to know.

Quote:
My worst sit was pretty scary at first.

The people were here on vacation, renting a small guest apartment. Their dog was fine, a typical high energy boxer, but pretty good. I was informed there was a resident dog living at the main house. My gut said I needed to meet the dog, but I wasn't able to. I was told the resident dog would not be lose in the fenced area because the two dogs didn't get along well. The guest apartment was in the fenced area.

So on one visit I go into the guest apartment and a few moments later the resident dog shows up at the door, barking and growling. For some unknown reason I left my cell in the car (I never do that). No one was home at the main house. After I collected my wits, I was able to make friends with the dog through a crack in the door until I was confident enough to go out the door. Even after that I still had to walk my clients dog in the same area with this dog and they don't get along well.

It all worked out, but I'll never be put in that situation again.

I only worry when I sit for elderly pets.

"Please don't die until your owners get home...please don't die until your owners gets home...please don't die...."

I feel soooo incredibly fortunate to have our wonderful farm sitter. I could tell when she came over for the initial free consultation that she would care for all of our animals as we would. I wish you the best of luck and hope you find someone.

I could tube feed the rooster with no problem. But horses scare me and pigs and goats?? I always think they want to take a chunk out of me. Weird fear. Dogs are great. The neighbors wanted me to feed and water their house cats for a week. Well they pooped all over their cream shag carpet. Won't ever watch cats again.

Back
Top Bottom