Pet Turkey's?

Here's my pumpkin after I saved him from a thunderstorm a few weeks ago. He snuggled right up on my lap and went to sleep. That was right after I started letting the flock stay outside for extended periods. Poor lovelies. Lol.

So precious!

I see this post is several years old and don't know if U still have the turkeys. I have 3 2 girls 1 male. I got them when they were a little older but still little. They all use to roost on my arm all at the same time. I got them for pets not food. They R full grown now and several years old They R broad breasted bronze. They never let me pet them. Have separated the sexes because the male is huge and he hurts the girls when he's on top of them they R only separated by a fence so they visit. The male attacks me or would if a fence didn't separate us. I tried letting him again with the girls. But didn't change his attitude. I have posted a few things here about them and was told they don't make good pets They live by instinct alone. Eating and reproducing only thing they think about. im very disappointed but I should have asked before I got them. I have read a few posts that say they're good pets for some ppl I'm envious When they die. Not gonna replace or eat them.

I just read all post. I'm so envious. Maybe my turkeys were too old when I got them to attach to me. I try every day to pet but no luck they just run. Congrats to U guys who have good pets.

Sorry you had bad luck. I have a hen and tom who breed. It never looks comfortable for her. My tom is emotionally attached to me and wants to know where I am most of the time. However, he doesn't really like me stroking his head--which I do rarely.
Mine are pets and I love the chicks but really don't need them. I hate trying to find them homes.

Sorry you have had a bad experience with your turkeys. It could be just like with chickens some people have friendly roosters and others don't you can ask yourself what you did wrong but sometimes it is in the breeding also.
Mine only show aggression when I hold one of my other chickens or ducks. They are possessive of me and don't like me giving anyone else special attention.

I just read all post. I'm so envious. Maybe my turkeys were too old when I got them to attach to me. I try every day to pet but no luck they just run. Congrats to U guys who have good pets.

They may not have been handled enough as babies or enough exposure to people, or maybe they were mistreated before they got to you. Or maybe your Tom just has an attitude. I also have chickens and they all have very different personalities, i have one rooster that will sometimes attack me and jump at my legs if he is in a mood. then i have another rooster that lets us pick him up. I know how frustrating a bad pet can be, i have a rabbit that we got when she was 4 mths old, she was too old, we cant pet or pick her up, we can barely touch her back, shes even but me a few times. We got another rabbit very young and she is super sweet, we can pick her up anytime. Animals have personalities too. Next time if you want to try again, get them right after hatching, they will imprint on you.

Thanks for the reply I love pets but unfortunately I have allergies to most that's like cats and dogs my turkeys don't seem to affect my allergies. I was very disappointed that I could not interact with the turkeys I thought when they were young and they all roosted on my arm when I put it out that maybe we would get close but now as adults turkeys they won't let me near him and the male which I named big bird is humongous he often flies up in the air at me when I'm on the other side of the fence I'm sure would tear me up really bad if I got near him for some reason he doesn't like me I'm the one that feeds them and water them and give them treats but he still is very mean and has very long claws. I believe there about three years old now and when they die I won't be getting anymore. But I already thought of what you were talking about I should've got them when they were real little maybe it would've been different

Thanks everyone for UR replies. I was able a couple times when the female was laying down right outside the males fence I presume assuming the position for him it knowing he couldn't get at her anyway she did let me pet her all over head neck back I really enjoyed that. But that's the only time. I read how some turkey allow their owners to hold them and interact. That's so nice. I've also had replays in the past that turkeys definitely do not make good pets The person that replied and said that turkeys live by instinct alone to eat and to reproduce and thereby not making good pets Of course I didn't read that until after I got the turkeys this all started because I befriended a wild turkey got really close to her she would eat out of my hand and keep me company while I was sitting outside and then a coyote got her. My neighbor feeling sorry for me said he knew someone that sold baby turkeys and he got them for me so I was not aware how old they were when I got them. Maybe the male turkey is mad at me because I won't let them be together but honestly he is huge. He's the biggest Tom turkey I've ever seen. And I know if I left them together he'll end up killing the girls. They have big pens they have a small coupe that all three can Roost on the wintertime. And a nesting box the girls used lay one egg a piece every day. This year that's pretty well stopped the one girl plays undeveloped eggs in the pen instead of the box. The other girl will lay in occasional egg but I've only gotten to this year so I'm not sure what's up with that

My babies are sweet too. I mean my hen can be a major snot at times, but my boy....ohhh, he's so adorable. He is recovering slowly from a stroke and we are taking special care with him, but he still knows mommy. Rubs his head on my arm when I pet him.

How did we go from this:

To this so fast!!

You really have to put the time in for a pet. My guy got to spend a while outside in the garden or fields with me each day. He would snuggle with me at night when I was reading. He would have slept with me if I had let him. His favorite spot was under my chin or under my arm like momma.

He tells me everything that's on his mind. Every little move he makes, or every little peep or gobble, he's telling me what is on his mind. Every feather from his neck to his wings to his tail tells you something. Usually it doesn't matter what I'm doing he wants to be involved. If I'm gardening he wants to forage in the garden. If I'm working on the pen, he is two feet away supervising. If I am sitting on the porch he will come flop down in the sun in front of me. He is very content with his flock and that includes me. He alternates between checking on me and his chickens. One squawk from his chickens or one "Where are you?" or "Come here!" from me and he will pop his head up or come running. If his chickens squawk he ALWAYS comes running.

Back
Top Bottom