Pet Turkey's?

rgph2007

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
This my first minutes on BYC so please forgive me if I am repeating a question. I am in my second year of raising Chickens. I love them way too much to put them on my dinner table. I adopted two turkeys with holiday's in mind. But low and behold I am attached to them as well. I suppose some people get perrots or finches, but my birds are some of the best company. I am a young retired vet with severe PTSD and "TURK and Lurk" are wonderful therapy. My question is, is this practical? Do other people actually have turkeys as pets or am I nut's? any advice would be greatfully welcomed.
smile.png

Yes, of course, many people have beloved pet turkeys. One poster on here shows a shot of his pet turkey perched on the open oven door each Thanksgiving, just as a joke.

The only issue comes if you have the broad breasted white or bronze breeds. Due to their genetics, they develop muscle mass far in excess of normal, or "heritage" breed turkey. As a result, they are prone to cardiovascular and orthopedic problems as they age. The best way to keep these in good health is to restrict the diet quite a bit to a bare minimum of calories to maintain a healthy weight, which is a actually a bit on the lean side, while giving supplements to ensure they get all necessary vitamins/minerals, and to encourage as much exercise as possible. Many people do keep broadbreasted turkeys for many years by following this regimen, but you should be prepared for the possibility that you may encounter heart/lung or joint/bone problems.

If you have heritage breed turkeys, they should be capable of living probably at least ten years. The broadbreasted birds seem to be able to live to five or six with proper care, sometimes longer. Its all about the healthy diet, not letting them overeat, and getting them to exercise.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice. I hope that you are able to enjoy your turkeys for a long time and find peace through caring for them. No reason I can think of that you shouldn't try -- there are plenty of turkeys for sale at the grocery store or local market each Thanksgiving, no reason you should feel like you need to give up yours if you enjoy their companionship.

Last edited:
I have six month old BBW She is the best. I am fighting her foot really bad right now since they are bred to be food not friend. We are giving her calcium supplements daily and She is also pretty much a house turkey. I love her to pieces.

The best advice I can give you is to watch her weight right away. They get too big too fast and I notice her breathing and limbs are starting to pay the price for my lack of knowledge when she was younger. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello, I'm Joy in Sacramento, California. I am enclosing a picture taken today of my pet turkey, Mrs Turkles. She is one of the best pets I've ever had. She stops and allows me to pet her and is always front and center when the flock (chickens) come for treats. She lost her companion a few months ago (big male turkey who was being boarded with us) and she is going to be presented with a new forever companion tomorrow as she has been very depressed since he left.

Attila the hen:

Whomever you love is whomever you love! Don't ever feel weird about it. I didn't know turkeys were such loving creatures until I had one. It makes me wonder what else I'm missing out on. There are people out there who love the strangest things, and this experience has made me a whole lot more tolerant of what I do not understand. I hope your turkey's foot heels up just fine. Enjoy your turkeys! They are wonderful, faithful friends.

Hi there, first post, I'll try to be a little short.

I got started in the feathered creatures on Easter, of course. The Mrs. brought home 5 chicks from the feed store. With a little work and a lot of love, they all survived and are thriving at the speed of running out of egg cartons regularly.

I flirted with the idea of getting a turkey, and I made the mistake of saying it when the Mrs. and my Friend's new wife were within earshot... A week later, I had a 2 day old Bourbon Red... His name is Tikey and it's the BEST thing I ever said aloud....lol

At 2 weeks old, He was already a ham...

I got Him as a single, so I ran up the hill to my Buddy's chicken coop and got Him a friend... They took to each other instantly...

Ends up being a rooster. His name is Mr. Mister...

I got Him in mid-June. By the 4th of July, I knew He was a He, and I was ready to jump out of my shoes... I really wanted a Tom...

BIG Ham....lol

Time goes on, and so does the tinyness... Always looking to be the center of attention...

Shortly after we got Him, we acquired a couple of Silkie Chicks. One rooster and one hen. They are practically inseparable and are in separate coops than the other layers. They do roam the grounds outside of the coops together, but stay in their own cliques most of the time.

We kept Him inside the house for almost 3 months. Outside during the day mostly and in at night. He loved being in the house...

Watching the Seattle Mariner's Games with me...

...and COPS...lol

H

He is such a ham (Did I already say that?) and friendly as any animal I've ever been around....

He loves His exercise too....

Oh, yeah, did I tell you He was a ham????

The coolest animal I've ever had. I'm battling Bladder Cancer right now, and He has been the best therapy I could have ever imagined of having. I'm in remission, but still going through my chemo regiment. He has made it so much easier...knowing this is what I get to see when I get home every day...

Last edited:
My little turkey is named Buzzy
love.gif
and he's the best pet! He/she is a bourbon red, i'm not sure on gender but Buzzy will strut, but ONLY for our bunny. He has a crush on her I guess. My vote is bourbon red, they're easy to find and really sweet, with pretty feathers. He was the sweetest little poult he followed me everywhere and always wanted to be in my lap. Just don't get broad breasted because they don't live long due to their size.

Saturday morning cartoons
80125_shot_1312027192687.jpg

Strutting for his woman
80125_2011-07-30_08-11-24_810.jpg

Closeup with crumbs all over his face
80125_shot_1312641796826.jpg

Back
Top Bottom