Pheasant Questions

Lone Wolf

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
1. Should I not have more than one male?
2. Have read that you can't free range pheasants...Is that true?
3. How far away should chickens and pheasants be?
4. Have read that Ringnecks are VERY flighty. Is that true in your experience?
5. How hardy are Golden pheasants?

Any advice would be very helpful!
smile.png

smile.png
1.1 male can breed up to 10 hens,ringnecks that is.
2.It's debatable,but not worth risking.
3.As far away as you can get them.
4.Each bird is different just like humans.If provided enough cover(branches,trees,etc.
5.All pheasants are very hardy,excluding firebacks,and peacock pheasants which require heat in the winter months).I've raised grey peacock outside year round with no problems.
In N.H.,Tony,.

In my pheasant breeding experience 1 male to 11 hens is ideal, any less is to hard on the hens. lot depends on how much room you are giving them. If raising chickens with pheasants the secret is to brood them together , do not introduce anything to the pheasants after the second week, and keep the brooder very dark. pheasants can be free range easier with chickens in the flock. Put a radio in the brooder and leave it on 24/7 this helps keep them calm, once out you want to make noise when coming upon them so as to not startle them. Golden , lady Amherst etc. are very aggressive do not put any other bird with them. to breed let the rooster in with the hens for half a day each 7 to 10 days, then separate better if he cant's see the girls. good luck. J.R. in Utah.

1.1 male can breed up to 10 hens,ringnecks that is.
2.It's debatable,but not worth risking.
3.As far away as you can get them.
4.Each bird is different just like humans.If provided enough cover(branches,trees,etc.
5.All pheasants are very hardy,excluding firebacks,and peacock pheasants which require heat in the winter months).I've raised grey peacock outside year round with no problems.
In N.H.,Tony,.

hey i bought 3 pheasants today and in transferring them to the pen the cock got loose.does anyone know if he might return to the hens or do i need to start looking for another cock

He is new to the pen so he may not return,but if he knows the hens are there he may return.You'll just have to wait and see.
In N.H.,Tony.

Depends on a lot of factors. Do you live in town or country, does he have access to cover and concealment ? If he is a Ringneck it is doubtful for his return. If you have a lot of predators, awks, owls, racoon, coyotes, it is even more doubtful. If he does return and you see him it would be best not to approach him during day light. Try to find where he is roosting or sitting and use a net at night. I have heard of birds being gone for two weeks and still returning. The fact that he is new in town doesn't help matters. Good Luck, hope he gets home safe.

smile.png
1. It wouldn't hurt to have an extra male barring a death of your main male, but I'd highly reccomend keeping him in a separate pen to prevent fighting.

2. Free range = No more pheasant (MOST of the time)

3. As far as possible with what you have to work with. As for a minimum distance, I'm unsure of that; but surely, the farther the better

4. I have a trio of ringnecks, and they never burst into flight. They've tamed down extremely. They're perfectly fine with me coming in the cage during the day or night, the females eat out my hand, and even don't mind my dog laying next to their cage looking at them,, they actually come to check the dog out. I might add that when I first moved them in the pen and were still young, they got scared and flew some, but that only lasted about a week or so and I surely wouldn't have considered it as "extremely flighty". Then again, I blame that on them just not used to me being so close to them and actually being inside the same cage as them, as they were originally raised in a wire floor cage until about 9 weeks of age or so.

5. I second the other opinions about most all pheasant being extremely cold hardy birds.

Back
Top Bottom