Pheasants??

Raise and release is pretty simple even if by accident. Most ringneck tend to look for an escape by/before 6 months of age and I’ve only owned 1 that successfully returned to the property. Being more “hands-off” during raising and evaluating that there is good habitat with access to food and water source and safety to avoid predators. If you are in an area that sustains an established wild “breeding” population, there is better hope of survival. A lone, domesticated bird will be easy prey and I have never had a ringneck go broody. I guess my point here is that it seems a shame to go to this much trouble to feed and raise a pheasant with the intention of release in an environment with little to no chance of survival…..(if that makes sense)
Thank you so much! My husband brought it home pheasant farm?!?! They are raised up, then released for hunting. This guy was a runt and clearly getting picked on. We are thinking of raising and releasing as we have no desire to get anymore nor do we really have a separate set up for it currently ...and cant see building one for one single bird. Hubby said that they were gonna kill it...and hubby being hubby steppes up to bring it home...(we are no good together i tell ya!!! 🤣🤣🤣)

Thoughts on raise and release??? I didnt realize i needed a permit but most definetly planned to look into it.

Last edited:
Raise and release is pretty simple even if by accident. Most ringneck tend to look for an escape by/before 6 months of age and I’ve only owned 1 that successfully returned to the property. Being more “hands-off” during raising and evaluating that there is good habitat with access to food and water source and safety to avoid predators. If you are in an area that sustains an established wild “breeding” population, there is better hope of survival. A lone, domesticated bird will be easy prey and I have never had a ringneck go broody (I’m still a bit too far south). I guess my point here is that it seems a shame to go to this much trouble to feed and raise a pheasant with the intention of release in an environment with little to no chance of survival…..(if that makes sense)
I hear you...
We found someone who owns them...
We will be passing it along...

T
I just now saw this post! :rolleyes: Anyway, @muddy75 , is absolutely correct in her answers....I have nothing to add! :eek:
Thank you...
We are passing it along to someone who raises them...

We are not set up for pheasants, nor do we care to raise a single bird of any breed. And if I were to build another coop/run...it'd be for more chickens 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Frankie the Pheasant is off to their new home!!!

Thank you everyone for your advice and help!

Attachments

• 20230606_140817.jpg
    20230606_140817.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom