Pheonix Thread

Pics
those look great i was reading your description and are those all black ones the fibromelanistic if so please post pictures that would be awesome. im guessing you would have needed to use sumatra
Thanks! Some of the chicks look like they'll be solid black or dun or splash and a few blues, but a lot of these are also silver gingers. Some are also crosses (that I did purposefully 😂) of the silver ginger and the blue and dun lines. I'm hoping to get a few solid colored birds from those that I can then use to make lines that I can breed back to blue or duns when I need some fresh genes, but a lot of them so far look like they'll be duckwing in color, but it should be interesting to see how they mature!

And I wasn't the one who originally did the crossing, that was back like 15 years ago and was done by Aubrey Webb and Toni Marie-Astin. I just purchased these birds from Aubrey last year when he was forced to sell due to a back injury. And you're right, they crossed Phoenix with Sumatras to get the solid coloring of blue, dun, and black, and I also know that they were crossed with Ayam Cemani (before the fibro chicken fad) around the same time to get the fibro genes in them.

And I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I have time!

Thanks! Some of the chicks look like they'll be solid black or dun or splash and a few blues, but a lot of these are also silver gingers. Some are also crosses (that I did purposefully 😂) of the silver ginger and the blue and dun lines. I'm hoping to get a few solid colored birds from those that I can then use to make lines that I can breed back to blue or duns when I need some fresh genes, but a lot of them so far look like they'll be duckwing in color, but it should be interesting to see how they mature!

And I wasn't the one who originally did the crossing, that was back like 15 years ago and was done by Aubrey Webb and Toni Marie-Astin. I just purchased these birds from Aubrey last year when he was forced to sell due to a back injury. And you're right, they crossed Phoenix with Sumatras to get the solid coloring of blue, dun, and black, and I also know that they were crossed with Ayam Cemani (before the fibro chicken fad) around the same time to get the fibro genes in them.

And I'll take some pictures tomorrow if I have time!
That’s really cool I really want to see those they must be fascinating to see

That’s really cool I really want to see those they must be fascinating to see
So here are some of the fibro Phoenix I have. You can tell if they are fibro if they have blue earlobes and darker or black skin. If they have one dose they will look darker than other chickens, but if they have 2 doses, their skin will be completely black as well as their insides.
20200329_180509 (1).jpg

This is the black rooster I'm using for breeding. He has 1 dose of fibro, so depending on the hen he is bred with he can make either more fibros or regulars.
20200329_180702 (1).jpg

These are the 2 hens he's paired with this year, they are actually a mix between my dun rooster and a silver ginger hen. They also both have 1 dose of fibro.

Here is the duns I'm breeding this year. The rooster has 1 dose of fibro, the hens next to him have 2 doses and are completely black, inside and out. You can see the difference 1 vs 2 doses can make.
20200329_175848 (1).jpg

And here is a broody pullet that is the daughter of the black rooster in the previous post, she has very blue earlobes and 1 dose of fibro.
20200329_180016 (1).jpg

I have some bantam silvers ill try and get pics tomorrow, they were hatched feb 10thish 2020, so they still have some majoe color change ahead of them

How do you keep them separated? Just in separate pens? I want to do that, but I'm afraid I won't have the space (gotta build some I guess). I also looked into raising them in a tomebaku (I think that's how you spell it) and letting them out to roam around on grass in the day, but I'm not entirely sure. Some people say it's inhumane, and it does seem like it would be time consuming.
I have 13 separate pens, all but three are Phoenix. I only have one dedicated to roosters, the others are all separated by color or selected pairs, trios. The two roosters that I have separated are in an 8x8 open air coop. They rarely step foot on the ground. They get plenty of greens in their diet so not worried about that. I have the hardest time keeping the tails in good condition, and I’m my own worst enemy as I stepped on one recently and pulled out not one, but two feathers!🤦🏻‍♀️
I like how you just throw them in there and get a lot of different colors
It’s seriously a mix of birds that don’t have a breeding purpose yet, but they’re too nice to get rid of lol

Back
Top Bottom